Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition - repair woes and a fresh WIndows 10 install

Tizerak
Tizerak Member Posts: 15 New User

Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-79YZ Gaming Laptop

So I just got my laptop back (for the 2nd time after they messed up the 1st) after Mother Nature decided to play a joke on me on 4/1 and make lightning strike right outside my house which damaged my laptop because the only thing not surge protected was the coax cable to my cable modem (this has been rectified I have a protector now that includes coax, it happened at 4AM while I was asleep so I never heard the storm to unplug things). I had the "act of God" repair plan from Newegg and it was handled by some group at myserviceplan.com. They replaced the motherboard and the HDD because those were toast.

Anyways I want to do a clean Windows 10 install since I originally just did the upgrade from 8 to 10. The problem is when they replaced the motherboard my laptop thinks it is a Poseidon? Isn't that a cell phone? So I'm worried about doing a fresh Windows 10 install and the drivers not being right, losing the Acer software that I do use like the dust defender, and the software for some of the components like Dolby Digital Plus.

Any advice on how to do a clean Windows 10 install and not lose some of this software because it didn't come with a recovery CD. One of the Acer programs let me make a USB flash drive restore thingy.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

I would clone the system hdd to another hdd. Then if something got messed up, I could clone it back to the laptop.

Then you can format the HDD and clean install 10.

Where are you finding Poseidon?

• Tizerak
    Tizerak Member Posts: 15 New User

msinfo