Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition M.2 SSD - SATA only?

Options
c3l3x
c3l3x Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi.  Does anyone know if the M.2 slot can accept PCIe SSD's or only SATA SSDs?

Thanks

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

It can only accept M.2 ssds like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-3-5-Inch-MZ-N5E500BW/dp/B00TGIW1XG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1426108380&sr=8-7&keywords=m.2+ssd

This is a 500GB. You can go smaller (250, 256, cheaper.

• c3l3x
    Options

That SSD is SATA, so I am guessing that it is SATA only.

I was hoping it woudl take the faster PCIe SSD's that can exceed the SATA III 6gbps limit (~550MBs)

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

The one I showed you has two slots in it. The PCle (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-XP941-512GB-80mm-PCIe/dp/B00JOSM3TK) only has one.Unless someone else can say for sure, pull yours out and see if it doesn't need both slots.

• c3l3x
    Options

Thanks.  I'll take a look tomorrow and reply with my findings.

• c3l3x
    Options

Just found this online-

Seems like you might be correct.  The image of the motherboard seems to show two slots, which would be SATA version (not PCIe).

http://i.imgur.com/HHrcmnP.jpg

I'll reply if I find anything different when I look at mine.

• Reddeer2000
    Reddeer2000 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hi,

I think it is not correct. The KIngston SSD on the picture has two slots not the motherboard.

Take a look at this site, there you can find the details about the difference of m.2 ssds.

Best regards from Germany

Reddeer2000

• c3l3x
    Options

I think you're right.  They keying of the card (the notches) may or may not impact the ability for the connector to allow for PCIe vs. SATA.  The Acer V15 Nitro BE M.2 slot is B+M keyed.  In looking through the (admittedly confusing) articles and specs online, it appears that SSDs with this keying can be either PCIe 2.0 x2 or SATA 3.

Making things a bit more confusing, it appears that a PCIe SSD is backwards compatible with SATA, but not the other way around.  If you bought a PCIe SSD and it physically fits in the slot, but the system only uses SATA, it would still work but you would be limited to 6 gbps (SATA 3) instead of 8 gbps (PCIe 2.0 x2 in this case).

If I had the money I'd just buy a PCIe and a SATA version of the same SSD and see if they both work and if the PCIe card gives higher performance.  If it does, then the M.2 slot would be compatible with PCIe on this laptop.  If not, then it's just using SATA and you're losing out on a bit of performance (and money for the higher priced PCIe card).

Given the small difference (700MB/s for PCIe 2.0 x2 vs. 550MB/s for a SATA 3 M.2 SSD), I think I'll just save the money and buy the SATA version and not worry about it.  If anyone does try out a PCIe SSD on this laptop, please let me know.  I'd be curious to know what you find.

• Reddeer2000
    Reddeer2000 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hi,

maybe I will buy a Samsung SSD XP941 512GB next week in an online shop. In Germany you have 30 days to send it back without any reason, but only in online shops. I will try, if the Samsung works with my V17 Nitro instead of the installed Kingston 240GB.

I will post the result here.

Take a look at this picture and it's description :

Acer Aspire Black Edition VN7-791G-70Z7
    Middle of left side - M2 PCIE SSD slot, right bottom - HDD/SSD slot, to access memory bay you have to unscrew the mainboard

acernitro.jpg

• VinceStarFire
    VinceStarFire Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

That's right, M Key, B+M Key, PCIe, SATA, only one word.... confusing!!!

These producers need to sit together and do something otherswise SSD won't boom.

I can only tell you what won't work. Nitro BE + Plextor 120GB (B+M) won't work. BIOS cannot detect, I am referring to the 700MB/s version m.2 SSD.

Another nice sales guy told me he has installed for another customer one that will work, I am going for this next weekend, if it doesn't that sales guy would gladly decline the sale. Crucial M500 m.2 128GB.

• maciat
    maciat Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

That could shine some light on the topic:

http://laptopmedia.com/laptop-m-2-ngff-ssd-compatibility-list/

I was hoping for SAMSUNG SM951, but I'm going for 850 EVO, since PCIe isn't compatible.