Aspire V11 Touch will do nothing since recent W.10 update will not recover black screen.

Eileen1
Eileen1 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi Upgraded my V11Touch to W.10 several months ago all has been fine.  Windows did an automatic update last week which has rendered my laptop useless.  I have a black screen which then goes to Acer Explore Beyond Limits screen after 10 mins I get a blue screen with recovery on it and a couple of options press F8 start up which does nothing and then turns machine off.  It also says press esc for UEFI firmware settings.   Did all the usual things with Microsoft eg turning on/off continually pressing F8.  Tried F10 for reset but no joy there.

Microsoft are unable to do anything by remote as I cannot get the start up menu.

I would add that on the same day my mother also had the same problem with her Aspire E15 but was luckier than me in that they managed to get hers up and running.

As this machine is 15 months old Acer are not concerned unless I return to them at a considerable cost for repair.  Is there anything I can do or do I have no option but to resort to a costly repair.   Feeling peeved as it wasnt my fault.  

Surely we are not the only two user to experience this problem.

Thanks to anyone that can assist but I am no computer whizz. 

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

Don't know how I missed your message. Sorry it has taken so long for a reply.....

About your machine, I am not sure if you have taken it in for local Repairs or if you were able to get it figured out...

However there are a few things you can do!!! One if you made a Revovery USB you could try and repair your sytem off that... However if you didn't it is not all lossed yet as long as your system gets to the start of a BOOT...

So I know that doing a bunch of Updates and INstalling software isn't part of Everyday lifes joys however it may save you the trouble of having to send your ssytem in....

If you want and this is really up to you. If you want you could Try and do a System Recovery.. Problem up front is without being able to log into Windows, Or having made a Windows 10 Recovery it will put your system back to what software you were running..... ie. Windows 8 or 8.1...

Press the Power Button on your computer, Then Press Alt+F10. I do it from the time I press the Power button until I see that it is going to start the recovery. Some people get lucky and just press them 2 buttons and let go... I like to be safe.. Even then I don't always get it to come up.... Then you would need to choose to either Remove all files or Keep your files... If you Keep them I am not sure really what changes with going back from 10... The Best bet would be to do a Full Restore and delete all files... At this time. Lets hope no Power Spikes or Brown out. As it will or can take from 30 minutes to 2 hours for a FULL restore. I would say good chance for the longer time...

One thing more I shoudl add.... If you have your system set up with a password that isn't tied to MS you may need to remember that password... If you had a MS password then it should make you start with your log in info... Once your on again. It should be back to your Starting software from when you bought the computer new....

If you want to go back to 10 you could also always Make a ISO of Windows 10 and do an install over your system now... Just be warned if you do the update with a Fresh install of Windows 10 you will not have all the Software or Drivers from Acer.... I have done a Clrean install. I didn't really feel anything different. Besides some of the things like DVD Player (Windows 10 don't have one built in) 

IMHO that is where I would start before sending my sytem in... IF your Recovery is intact All is safe. After Revovery if that was what you do with Alt+F10. To get back to Windows 10 you would need to do your Updates and then wait for your Icon for 10.

Hope I was somewhat Helpful

James

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi Eileen1,

From what it sounds like, it sounds like Windows has become corrupted and this is why you're going to the black screen. Luckily there are tools that can allow you to correct this type of problem, and Revomaxx has already outlined nearly quite a few of them.

The Acer Community was established with a lot of good intentions, and one of those is to allow users, regardless of warranty to be able to communicate and try and get some help with their products. I hope that between Revomaxx, myself and other users, we can help you get back up and running with little or no out of pocket costs to you.

If you want Acer to directly handle the issue and perform a repair, we can do so, but the costs associated have to be passed on as well.

Cory

• bigmutt
    bigmutt Member Posts: 8 New User

try looking at Device Manager,  if there's a yellow-flagged item and/or no driver for touch screen under HID (human interface device)  then you have to add it. 

click on the yellow flag item, tell it to update driver, from list from your computer,   go to Generic drivers, not the Acer ones, choose the one that's called HID touch screen,  update it,  restart, and there you go.

check another post here on this forum,  from scotsman.  he gives the steps maybe a little better than I do.