Aspire V Nitro Black Screen Issue (VN7-572G-53E7)

Options
crh8
crh8 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello all,

I recently bought this Aspire V Nitro (last month).  It's a great laptop, but I've noticed that once a day, I run into an issue when the computer screen goes black at a random time.  It's usually 20-30 minutes after I open the laptop lid (I guess from sleep mode).  I start using it for 20-30 minutes or so, and no matter what I'm doing (surfing the internet, going through settings, reading email) the screen will just go black randomly at some point.  The only thing I can do is press and hold the power button to power it off and back on.  Once I do that, the PC works fine, until I start to use it the next day.  I'll wake up the laptop and the same thing happens and I have to repeat the process above.  I've never seen this before with a laptop and thought this was odd.  Anyone know what might be causing this to happen?  Thanks for any help!

Also, here are some of the specs of the machine:

Windows 10

Intel Core i5-6200U

Nvidia Geforce 945M (2GB)

8GB RAM (DDR4)

1TB HDD

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

you can try to update Intel VGA drivers and BIOS, then check if your issue is fixed or not.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6402;-;Aspire%20VN7-572G

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • lolkek
    lolkek Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

Against the advice of the support member below avoid updating your bios as it can lead to some serious headaches to those that are not technologically inclined, usual maintenance liek updating drivers and running malware scans with malwarebytes, checking what processes you have running in startup to make sure there is nothing malicious or any processes suffering from a memory leak etc.

Try to keep the laptop away from direct sunlight to and if not minimise it's exposure to heat and sunlight. Does your laptop reside in a hot or humid environment?

• crh8
    Options

Thanks for the replies!  It's been doing this since the first day I've had the laptop.  I've downloaded all the latest Windows 10 updates, but haven't done anything with the drivers (it came with Windows 10 pre-installed for what it's worth).  The laptop is not near a window or any sunlight and the conditions are comfortable.  It sorta feels like a software issue but not really sure.

• IronFly
    Options

lolkek wrote:

Against the advice of the support member below avoid updating your bios as it can lead to some serious headaches to those that are not technologically inclined....

Serious?

Please...updating a BIOS today is a simple double clicking an exe and following instructions, nothing else.

more often it fixes issues like black screens or even worse issues.

and i'm not a support member, just an user like all the others here.

• crh8
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've updated the BIOS, drivers (including VGA), and even reinstalled Windows 10, but I'm still getting this random black screen issue.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?  I'd hate to have to already send this in for repairs, especially when there's no guarantee that it will get fixed. Smiley Sad

• IronFly
    Options

one thing to try is to change the screen time out on power plan.

windows logo key + x

Power options

click on change plan settings

on Turn Off the screen put never (just to try), save, reboot and check if the issue still appear.

• jakkeb007
    jakkeb007 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hello,

I have the same issue with my Acer Aspire laptop.

Is there a solution for this problem?

• IronFly
    Options

not yet as far as i know.

if you are under warranty i suggest you to contact Acer support service.

• crh8
    Options

Hey all,

So the verdict for me after trying out everything was to send it in for repair.  It took about a week and they needed to replace the mainboard.  I've had it back for about a week now and everything is working without any issues.  So it was definitely a hardware problem and if you have the same issues that I have, you will probably need to send it in for repair.  It doesn't hurt to try some of the things I did above first, just in case it fixes it.  But if it's a hardware issue, you'll need to send it in like I did.

Hope this helps.

• IronFly
    Options

Thanks for the report and good to hear it that now is fixed.