Adding an SSD to Acer Aspire VN7-591G-70RT (Help Needed)

MwPRaZfv
MwPRaZfv Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi,

I have an Adding an Acer Aspire VN7-591G-70RT with a slow 5400rpm 1TB WD Blue which is creating a bottleneck in my laptop.

I have checked on Crucial to see if there are compatible SSD's for my laptop who recommended:

Crucial MX200 250GB M.2 Type 2280 (Single Sided) Internal SSD

I was wondering, does anyone know if this information is correct? I've been getting mixed information online, 250GB wouldn't cut my storage needs if I could only mount a 2.5" SSD so my intention would be to have a 250 SSD installed as well as my 1TB HDD.

Also, If the SSD was not the primary drive would I still see the benefits of installing games to it? As in would the existing WD blue still be causing a bottleneck?

Any help with this would be appreciated!

Best Answer

• MwPRaZfv

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

I have the unit functioning now, I installed the Crucial M.2 MX200 250G with no issues. Here's how.

WEARING AN ANTI STATIC BAND:

Step 1) Remove all screws on underside of Laptop

Step 2) Use spudger or credit card to GENTLY pry a gap between the keyboard and base, then use credit card to slowly slide in gap to pop the clips open, DO NOT FORCE IT.

Step3) (OPTIONAL) detatch keyboard connectors by moving clip and gently removing the cable from the socket. However the HDD slipped in for me without needed to detatch.

Step 4) Unplug original WD Blue HDD by flipping the clip and removing the cable

Step 5) Close laptop back together and boot with Windows 10 USB install

Step 6) Install windows on new SSD (For me windows automatically activated via the BIOS/UEFI) If this does not happen for you, simply re-attatch the original HDD.

Step 7) If activation successful, reattach original HDD and format. I kept all of the original ACER RECOVERY and (Healthy) Partitions in case I need to restore to factory default, but formatted the main partition.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Yes. You can add a 250GB SSD. Do not get a Crucial MX SSD. There is a problem with them being recognized by the bios and installing Windows.

Buy a Samsung 850 EVO 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-inch-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00P736UEU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462425842&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+850+evo

• MwPRaZfv

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

I have the unit functioning now, I installed the Crucial M.2 MX200 250G with no issues. Here's how.

WEARING AN ANTI STATIC BAND:

Step 1) Remove all screws on underside of Laptop

Step 2) Use spudger or credit card to GENTLY pry a gap between the keyboard and base, then use credit card to slowly slide in gap to pop the clips open, DO NOT FORCE IT.

Step3) (OPTIONAL) detatch keyboard connectors by moving clip and gently removing the cable from the socket. However the HDD slipped in for me without needed to detatch.

Step 4) Unplug original WD Blue HDD by flipping the clip and removing the cable

Step 5) Close laptop back together and boot with Windows 10 USB install

Step 6) Install windows on new SSD (For me windows automatically activated via the BIOS/UEFI) If this does not happen for you, simply re-attatch the original HDD.

Step 7) If activation successful, reattach original HDD and format. I kept all of the original ACER RECOVERY and (Healthy) Partitions in case I need to restore to factory default, but formatted the main partition.