Acer v5-573 Black screen of death

Options
natantantan
natantantan Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

My laptop model is Acer V5-573P

It has the black screen of death. This means when I turn it on I don't post I just get a black screen. However the keyboard gets backlit and I could the backlight of the keyboard on and off. Also the blue power indicator is lit.

Things I've tried

1. 3 Different power resets (no plug no battery, just plug no battery, special power reset power button)
2. Taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in.
3. Taking out the Ram / HD and trying to post without it.

When I looked this issue up online the most common answer is that it seems to be a BIOS problem and that I need to flash new bios. That didn't work for me either but here are the steps I did.

1. Format a 4 Gig USB into FAT32
2. Dowloaded the latest BIOS for my laptop BIOS 2.30
3. Extract the zip and extract the exe.
4. Put the extracted contents on the root of the USB.
5. Plug in the USB and hold the power, FN and ESC key
6. The blue power indicator starts flashing so I'm pretty sure that it means it is atleast able to enter BIOS recovery mode or whatever but nothing ever happens and it just keeps flashing.

I'm pretty sure the answer to my problems is correctly flashing the BIOS but for some reason I can't seem to do it. Any help would be great.

Answers

• PhilOfficer
    PhilOfficer Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

Hi

I have the same Black Screen problem with my Acer V5-573.

And have tried the same recovery procedure without success.

Did you find a way to get your Laptop working.

Cheers

• Tina_Nobit
    Tina_Nobit Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I know this is an old thread but did you guys resolve it? It just happened to me recently.

• PhilOfficer
    PhilOfficer Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

Hi Tina

I received help from a user call "Ironfly" who is an Acer expert [see details down page].

The procedure worked for me but it is unconventional.

My understanding is that noramally the BIOS would be updated from the latest file on the Acer website which would be unzipped to reveal a ZRQ230.exe file - then copied onto a USB flash drive [fat 32 format] and the the Acer Crisis Flash  "FN + ESC" procedure started with the laptop Battery removed.

For whatever reason this doesnt work on the V5 573....but it will work if a ZRQ.FD file is placed on the USB.

This is where the Ironfly method comes in....basically its like throwing an egg violently at wall to remove the yoke then using it to make an omlette.

To extract the ZRQ.FD you have to try and execute the ZRQ***.EXE on a working windows PC - which will likely cause it to crash or at least generate an error message.

But when you reboot the PC the ZRQ.FD should be left behind in the folder C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\.tmp

and you can copy it to the USB drive and invoke the recovery. (Note: my Laptop took about 5 hours before the the Desktop reappeared)

Good luck..if you have any queries drop Ironfly a message ...he has been online today.

PhilO

ACE Trailblazer IronFly 
     ‎01-26-2016 09:44 AM

you can't extract the BIOS file using 7z or any other tool, you need to run the main exe and let unpack the files, the updater will give you an error, don't close the error but browse here:
    C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\7zSB35A.tmp

copy to a fat32 formatted flash drive the file ZRQ.fd

NOTE: Do not place any other *.fd files to the USB flash disk root directory.

5. Power off and insert the USB Flash Disk.

6. Ensure the AC adapter is plugged into the system.

7. Press and hold the Fn + Esc keys and then press and hold the Power button.  

8. When Power LED starts blinking and the LCD panel is dark, release the Fn + Esc keys and the Power button.

9. The system will enter crisis mode to flash the BIOS (The process takes about 3-5 minutes).

10. System will restart automatically when the Crisis Recovery Process finished.

11. Press F2 during the POST (power-on self-test) screen to enter the BIOS.

12. Ensure the System BIOS Version is the same as the crisis BIOS version.