Acer v15 nitro 592G heat problems help

3lmo11080
3lmo11080 Member Posts: 36 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
So here is a small help guide for all of you who have temperature issues with your laptop.
Few months back I bought the mentioned acer and I love it! Performance is very good and I can play most of the games on high settings 1080p without any issues except for the temperature.
When I bought it, after few weeks I replaced the thermal paste since the laptop was hitting 90C very fast.
Replacing thermal paste did help but not as I wanted, I managed to keep it under 90C however it was happening again that it will hit that temp.
My next step was to use throttle stop, I managed to reduce the voltage of the cpu and it did the trick, however gpu was still going hot e.g after 30 minutes of playing BF4 on 1080p with high/medium settings it will still hit 90C however there was not throttling. I was fine with this up until yesterday when I decided to try and reduce the temp again.
Now to the guide:
What you will need is thermal paste (obviously)
Cotton buds and cleaning alcohol.
I personally have used cleaning swabs, the ones that are used before taking an injection but you can use buds as well.
So, lay the laptop on a flat surface and take out the screws that are on the back panel.
Then you will need a plastic card or anything plastic that is thin enough to be fitted on the front panel, between the case and the panel, slide it in carefuly on all sides and then lift the pannel, be careful as you will need to remove the connections from the mobo and the keyboard as well as the one that is near to the monitor.
Once the top panel is removed, remove the remaining connections to the mobo (hdd, battery etc)
There are 3 more screws to be removed, 2 that are holding the fans and one on top right corner that is holding the mobo.
Take out the mobo, first you need to lift the left side of the mobo and pull in gently towards you, then pull it slightly to the left so that usb ports will come out of the case.
Fllip it, unplug the fans and take off the screws.
Now, clean the thermal paste so that everything is mirror shiny, using the alcohol and the buds but make sure that cotton does not get stuck on the processors.
Now the paste application part.
After several trial and error attempts, I have noticed that gpu chip needs more thermal paste than the cpu, for the cpu you can put about rice sized blob in the middle or a thin line across it, when it comes to gpu put approx a pea sized blob in the middle, DO NOT SPREAD IT!
Place back the heatsink gently and tighten the screws evenly so the paste will spread out nicely, do 2 full turns on each screw until it gives you resistance, once it does it is enough as you dont want to tighten it too much.
Place everything back as it was and fire up your machine.
Now the throttlestop,
In the FIVR settings I have the following configuration :
Cpu core voltage -140
Sys agent and some I/O setting - 100
Chache - 130
Igpu -50 (more than that causes a crash for me)
Your settings can vary so play around and check what is stable for you.
Save the settings, and also make sure that acer cool boost is on.
Now the result:
My original repaste - BF4 starting temp was around 80C, after 30 mins or so it will rase up to 85-87 on the gpu and around 80 on the cpu, further it will rase from 87-92 gpu and 80-85 on the cpu.

New repaste:
Starting around 75-77 and after 30 mins or so it is still stable on average 77gpu and 77-80 on the cpu, further it was not going over 83 on the gpu and cpu as well.

Clearly there was an improvement but I will test it again today for more than 2 hours of play to see how stable it is.

I hope that everything was clear as I was in a rush to write the guide because I am working at the moment.
Please let me know if you have any questions I am more than happy to help you!

Enjoy your acer!

Answers

• mysticdif
    mysticdif Member Posts: 3 New User

Why not using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility?

And what thermal paste did you use?

• 3lmo11080
    Hello, I just find throttle more reliable but that is only my opinion as for the paste I have used Arctic mx4
  • 3lmo11080
    So an update- after more than 4 hours of gaming, BF4 coty maps dont go over 77C as for the maps with a lot of vegetation it is nit raising above 85C
    Conclusion: I am very very happy!
  • Shumayal
    Shumayal Member Posts: 58 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Thanks for the guide but can you confirm that doing this will not void my manufacturer's warranty? Can I give it to Acer UAE for this purpose? I asked them for this but they only cleaned the dust.

• 3lmo11080
    I am not so sure about the warranty, best would be to check with the store whefe you have bought it.
    I believe that acer as a manufacter has no issue with us opening the laptop, however this is UAE.
  • 3lmo11080
    If you dont want to mess with your warranty but you do have overheating problems then you can try this: go to power options and under advanced power settings set processor state when plugged in, maximum 98%. That will disable turbo boost and processor will always operate on 2.5ghz
  • Arok808
    Arok808 Member Posts: 6 New User

Thanks for the informative post!  I'm waiting on a 593 and I have a feeling my usage needs are going to require some of the actions you went over, glad to see it adressed here.  

• 3lmo11080
    You are welcome. Did not even know that 593 will come out Smiley Happy Let me know how machine works and dont forget to give kudos
  • Arok808

So my 593 arrived, I got the base model so i could just upgrade the ram and ssd myself. That all went fine, Then i ran some Prime95 to see what the temps looked like.  While prime95 is not representative of real world loads normall i do have programs that i use that will peg the cpu when rendering.  Temps were getting up to 90 and it would drop the core speed to 2.8ghz.  I was not thrilled.  So repaste and ThrottleStop were in order.  This is the first laptop repaste i have ever done and im still not quite happy with it. I used Artic mx-4 and followed your steps but something is amiss after trying several times and checking the results.  Main issue is the core temp dispartity between cores 0&2 vs cores 1&3, its about 10 degrees(under full load) which inicates the mating is uneven between the cooler and the cpu core(maybe if i loosened some of the screws on one side it would be more consistent, idk). Putting aside the Repaste issue throttleStop is cool, i only dropped the v offset on the cpu and cache by -125mv and the igpu by -50.  That did seem to stabalize the cpu's performance under load but it is boosting too high when fully loaded @ 3.4ghz which is pushing the cpu to 90...if i limit it to 3.2 the cpu will hover in the high 70s so far. 

TLDR: Repasted and ThrottleStopped and temps are still kinda high, might need to repaste again. If i could go back in time i would just spend way more time tunning in TS before attempting a repaste.  Thanks again for the guide 3lmo11080!

• 3lmo11080
    Hello again, yes those temp differences on the core are a bit high, mine is 3-5C which is not ideal but is still fine, as mentioned above it is trial and error so try again ofc and observe what is happening. Also do not forget to turn cool boost on
  • 3lmo11080
    And ye I forgot, reducing core voltage alone wont do much, read again on my thorttle stop settings it might help
  • Arok808

well i kinda took your guide then looked at what some the articles on notebookcheck said....so sorry for any confusion there. Specifically what are you calling out here, using raw Voltage vs Offset Voltage? my lack of agent modification?

Thanks again for your time,

A.

• 3lmo11080
    Offset is fine altho you can try to go even -130/-140 and yes also you need to lower the system agent as well mine is on -100 and the other thing I forgot the name Smiley Happy