Acer recovery DVD issue

Options
mcguirknba
mcguirknba Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello everybody,

My windows 8  stopped working last weekend, I have an V3 771g 6814. Whenever I turnd on my PC it would just keep spining in the screen where it says "Acer explore beyond limits".

I tried to start the Acer erecovery but it would just be stuck in the "Please Wait" screen".

I downloaded the Ubuntu DVD and booted from that, which let me access my data and back it up. I then purchased the Recovery DVD's from the Acer website and followed the instructions. I kept pressing F12 which then let me either boot from the harddrive or the DVD drive. When I choose the DVD drive, in which I have the system disc just like the instructions tell me, it is again stuck for about 10 - 15min in the "Acer explore beyond limits" screen with the spinning round thing on the buttom. After a while the screen just turns black.

Is there anything wrong the DVDs Acer sent me? I am able to boot with a Ubuntu DVD so my hard drive and computer should be fine. Should I use Dariks boot n nuke to clean my hard drive and then try the sytem disc again?

Any help yould be appreciated!

Thanks!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

yes, for sure wiping your HDD will help; i would also disable secure boot on BIOS until the installation end.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27071/~/how-to-enable-or-disable-secure-boot

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mcguirknba
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried to run DBAN but it doesnt work it gives me the following error:

"dban finished with non-fatal errors"

Is there a different way to wipe my hard drive?

• IronFly
    Options

if Acer erecovery has the option to repair your pc and open a command prompt, you can try:

from command prompt type

diskpart

select disk 0

clean

or

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html
    download the .iso file
    then use a software to burn CD/DVD or USB flash drive and burn the .iso file
    once done, put the CD/DVD/USB on your PC, boot from CD/USB (maybe you need to boot under Legacy if you have UEFI BIOS)
    press F12 at boot and choose CD or USB
    at the desktop
    select your HDD
    right click on your HDD icon and choose delete all partitions and click on yes and then apply
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/delete-all-partitions.html#howto

• mcguirknba
    Options

Ironfly,

a more current version of dban seems to work and it is running now, I says it will take 9hours. Looking at a 750gb hard drive that might be right.

I will let you know once this is done if the acer recovery disks start working.

As a side note Alt - F10 didn't work either and that is where the build in erecovery is correct?

• IronFly
    Options
    Yes, correct.
    Please check if dban gives you any error on HDD, if not, try to install wi dows from recovery DVDs.