Acer aspire v5-572g bios issue among others..

Options
ConorOB
ConorOB Member Posts: 13 New User

Hi there, 

Just today I got the error 0xc0000185.  I looked up many solutions to this issue, most requiring the BIOS.  I got this laptop second hand off Amazon and I'm pretty sure it was restored to factory defaults.  I never set a BIOS password but it is asking me for one..  Not too sure what to do.  Tried spam clicking f12 on startup to try boot off of a USB but it seems to ignore it.  Any help would be grately appreciated!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Probably the previous owner set a BIOS password, have you asked him/her?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ConorOB
    Options

well I finally got into the BIOS..  Booted from a USB with a windows 8 installer on it..  The next issue is.. A few seconds after showing the windows logo the screen goes black and does nothing seemingly indefinitely.. I left it for over an hour a few different times only to see no change..  Anyone know what to do..?  

• IronFly
    Options

Hard to know....

have you tried to boot pressing ALT+F10, this normally starts Acer recovery management and let you reset your laptop to factory installation.

• ConorOB
    Options

Yeah it just brings me to the 0xc0000185 error screen saying I need recovery tools or installation media..  Even though when I tried to install windows 8 from the USB it just gets stuck at a black screen.. 

• IronFly
    Options

windows 8 or 8.1?

be sure to have the right version.

if you don't need to backup your personal data, you can think to do a windows 10 clean install, instead of re-installing windows 8.x

• ConorOB
    Options

Yea I'll probably give windows 10 a go tomorrow and see if it fixes things..

• ConorOB
    Options

Okay, i downloaded windows 10.. got it onto a usb and booted it on my laptop..  And i get the same black screen as before..  I get the windows logo and a little loading spinny circle thing for a few seconds then blackness..  I have no idea what to do now..

• IronFly
    Options

not good.

it seems an hardware issue, please check on BIOS (press F2 at Boot)

if HDD is set as AHCI

if under security HDD password is set as frozen

• ConorOB
    Options

Yeah it's on AHCI and the password is clear.. 

• IronFly
    Options

ok, 2 other things to check.

BIOS is on UEFI?

please try to disable Secure boot and try to boot from USB:

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27071/~/how-to-enable-or-disable-secure-boot

• ConorOB
    Options

Yeah i disabled secure boot, but anytime i use UEFI it does not recoginse the usb.. no matter what i do, i used several different programs to make it and tried loads of times but it refuses to recognise the usb unless it's in legacy mode..  Tried installing windows 7 to see what would happen there, it gets stuck at a black screen with a cursor after the loading screen too.. 

• IronFly
    Options

you must install windows 8 and above only using UEFI.

please try to burn an .iso image using Rufus:

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

set partition scheme to GPT for UEFI only

format fat32

• ConorOB
    Options

Yeah I did that several times, i tried again there and it still doesn't seem to recognise it as a bootable device..  Like it just shows USB HDD.. etc..   i have that as first in the boot priority and it just ignores it..  pressing f12 doesn't show it either..

• IronFly
    Options

Have you tried another USB flash drive?

after this suggestion, i don't have other ideas; that black screen after windows logo is not a good sign.

• ConorOB
    Options

Yeah i tried it on another one..  I'll try everything i've already tried again on the other usb..  And thank you for all your suggestions!

• IronFly
    Options

try to boot without the HDD installed, using legacy just to make the USB readable.

i'm curious if the HDD is having issues and it blocks windows boot.

• ConorOB
    Options

Yes actually, without the HDD i was able to get into the windows 7 installation.  Aaaaand after i put it back in its back to the same old stuff, black screen with cursor etc..  does that mean i need a new hdd or is there a way around it?

• IronFly
    Options

Yes, probably there's an issue on the HDD controller that's preventing windows to startup correctly or a SATA controller issue on the mainboard.

the only way to know.....is to try another HDD or SSD.

• ConorOB
    Options

I'll order a new one then and see if that fixes things, thanks for helping!

• IronFly
    Options

you welcome.