Acer aspire V3-112P touch screen has stopped working

teale
teale Member Posts: 4 New User

This was bought as a windows 8.1 model and I availed myself of the invitation to update to windows 10.

A couple of windows updates later and the touch screen has stopped working. The HID-Compliant touch screen entry in device manager has disappeared and I am unable to locate ANY relevant drivers on the Acer web site. Also I am unable to find any mention of this by other users.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

>>>A couple of windows updates later and the touch screen has stopped working.>>>

Have you tried to bring the system back to a restore point just before you noticed that it stopped working? Save any data between now and then though.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• teale

I have not yet tried that but I will!! It will have to be done when I have removed all my data and passwords etc as I have not set up a restore point. Windows is on auto update so I am not aware of any changes till things stop happening!! LIKE NOW!

I am more disappointed that the drivers for the HID Touch screen are not available on the Acer support site. Is this an oversight or deliberate?

As there are drivers involved in the operation of the touch screen I felt sure that they would be available to download or is it the case that Windows 10 does not support the feature?

Paul

• JackE

If you have it on autoupdate, restore points should be automatically created by Windows. Please check control panel for these restore points as one of these updates has apparently somehow disabled your touchscreen.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• teale

I accept your premise that I should restore my PC to an earlier point but then I will be stuck in time as allowing updates will cripple my touch screen once more.

Is there a reason for the DRIVERS for the touch screen being absent from the ACER site? Are there no drivers, or does windows 10 not support the touch screen?

I am not trying to be awkward, but surely they shoud be there?

I am surprised that there is no direct line to ACER to address this type of problem. I feel that I am wallowing in a sea of disinterest (of course you are excluded from this!)

Best regards,

Paul

• JackE

>>>allowing updates will cripple my touch screen once more.>>>

From past experience with Windows updates, I disable auto Windows update for this very reason. Instead, I manually update. If a problem happens, I then go back to the last restore point and avoid that particular update. Or try it some other time to confirm it's an issue. I then usually report the problem update number to MS or Acer. So I still suggest you go back to an earlier restore point just before you noticed the problem and do manual updates from now on.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• teale

Hi Jack,

Through the last few responses the issue that the DRIVERS for the touch screen or HID compliant touch screen are not available on the ACER site has been totally ignored. Can you give me some idea why this is?

Best regards,

Paul

• JackE

That's cuz drivers are sometimes bundled together by the chip and board mfr, not Acer. You might try to re-install the intel fabric drivers which also includes mouse and keyboard support to see what happens.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ