Acer aspire V17 nitro black edition (No bootable device)

Hvardfb
Hvardfb Member Posts: 9 New User
I have an issue with my computer. Whenever I start my computer I come directly to an black screen where it stands: No bootable device.
Any idea what it is and how I can fix it?

(I sadly dont have a usb or cd with windows)

Answers

• Hvardfb
    Refreshing
  • Hvardfb
    No one?
  • dowst
    dowst Member Posts: 30 Troubleshooter

There are many reasons for that problem. First you need to check if the drive is being recognised in the uefi

• Hvardfb

Well the model name shows, hdd serial number shows and the ATAPI model name shows. 

With uefi, u mean the setup utility that you can go to when pressing f2 right?

I am not very experienced on computers but got a guy that can help with what you telll me Smiley Wink

• Hvardfb

Im on the information section

HDD0 Model name: shows

HDD0 Serial Number: Shows

HDD1: Model Name: None

HDD1 Serial number: (Dosen´t show anything)

• dowst

Do you have any important information on the machine that you need to try to recover?

Also what is the model number of the hard drive.

Will reply tomorrow

• Hvardfb

Well I want to try to avoid clean the harddrive completly. So I hope there is a soulotion that can fix it without clening the harddrive.

Why does the serial number for the harddrive matter?

• dowst

I was after the HD model number so I could try to point you to the manufactoros web site, as most hard drive manufactors have utilies on their web sites for testing their drives.

Some still have self booting DOS based ones that will work in you situation, if not there is a linux option 

https://www.system-rescue-cd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

with both a cd and USB option.

After you have got the bootable test program  you will need to go in to the uefi and disable secure boot before the machine will boot from the cd /usb with non MS signed mediea.

The two most likely reasons for you problem are a) a physical dead HD or b) a corrupt MBR.

What operationing system was installed?

How old is the machine?

• Hvardfb

I will answer later ok. Thank you for helping me btw Smiley Happy

The machine is 1,5 years old

• starstudio
    starstudio Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

If you don't mind blowing $20 (which is refundable actually, if it fails to work for you), this boot repair utility is probably your best chance:      http://neosmart.net/EasyRE/Features/ 

I have not had to use it, myself, but it has been well regarded for some time and is much easier for a beginner than going through Microsoft's utilities - bootrecs, fixmbr, sfc scannow, etc.

• dowst

Ok so we know that warrenty is out of the questain.

Please remember the first rule of recovering from a hard drive problem if you are trying to get data back is "do no harm".

What I'm trying to find out is does the HD have a physical problem or not. If it does have a phyiscal problem the only course of action is to replace the HD. Then try to perform data recovery with it connected to another machine with duale drives and easier acces to the drive ie a desktop machine.

If the drive is ok an inplace repair of the MBR/bootsector should be possible.

From the age of the machine it will most likely have eithe Windows 8.1 or 10.