Acer VN7 792G Fan noise

Options
Artifixprime
Artifixprime Member Posts: 5 New User

My new VN7-792G arrived a few days ago and is a very nice machine indeed.

The only odd thing is that the Fan seems to be quite loud when is starts going. I had an XPS machine before this so I am used to noisy fans, but this is quite high pitched and sounds almost as if it's imbalanced and reminds me of fans in old machines that begin to whine towards the end of their life.

Oddly, the noise decreases if I lift one (or both) corners beside the hinges even slightly. I've also tried it on different surfaces in case it was a vibration issue between the laptop and the table it was on, but no success.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, or is this normal?

Answers

• ilkerk
    ilkerk Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I think I had a very similar issue on VN7 792G, a noise like whistling. I was about to return the product but I think I fixed it. You probably won't like the solution. One of the below solved my fan noise issue (I don't know which)

1- Opened the case and investigate anything that might vibrate due to fan. First I saw that Acer forgot one of the screw of the mainboard so I placed a new one and screwed motherboard firmly no prevent any vibration. Also close to larger fan plastic casing of the (vibrating) fan was touching to the (stationary) case.  I put a soft electric band in between.

2- I put a little machine oil to both fans. This part is tricky, you need to know where to put (check online), also you will need an oil with small sized needle heads. It possible to access fans after removing keyboard. I suggest not turn upside down for sometime if you decide to put oil.

best,

• Marxy85
    Marxy85 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have the same laptop with the same problem exactly.
    Acer says after service inspection in Brno, Czech Republic that this noise is normal! I can not accept that but what can you do with it is Acer refuses to do anything with the issue but your head aches when you are sitting next to the laptop to a few hours and you do not want to loose the warranty?? Incredible...

• Artifixprime
    Options

Hi,

I probably should have posted this sooner, but the problem was solved by sending it back and the having the fans replaced.

Good points: 

I called the support people first and explained what was happening, they were very helpful on the phone and did warn me that if they found nothing wrong that I'd have to pay for their time. I was happy to accept this and told them that I'd had higher performance laptops before and knew what was normal and what was not. They said "OK then, send it back and we'll have a look"

Bad points:

The online tool to check case history is quite poor. A case only becomes visible once the laptop has been recieved by them in their repair centre rather than when you log the case. Also, there was very little in the way of updates as the case was in progress - only a note so say when it was completed and parts had been replaced.

Overall though, it's been running very well since I got it back and any whisteling noise is gone completly.

If you've any doubt, I would contact them and explain what is happening. In this case, fans can get loud and change pitch while the system is under load, but this was an almost uncomfortable sound.

• Marxy85
    Marxy85 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

In my case, the cooling unit was replaced by the authorised service in my country but the problem is still here.
    The sound comes when the fans start to work on the normal working speed, on the higher speed there is no problem.
    The european service did check on it after the cooling unit change and they had written that this noise is ok according to the comparison with the reference laptop they have. I have to send my laptop back to them because i think they overlooked the problem seriously.

• Artifixprime
    Options

You could ask them for a spec sheet for the laptop - there might be a dB level stated for fan noise?

Maybe measure what levels yours reaches with a phone app (not ideal, but might be the easiest/fastest tool to use) and see if there's a difference. If there is you would then have some actual data to use when talking to them rather than an opinion that the fan is too loud.

I was worried too that they would say it was normal, but they did replace the cooling unit (maybe I was lucky?) and the problem was solved.

I do sympathise - I was worried about the warranty running out too.