Acer V7-582PG / Battery charging while at full state

Amidamaru212
Amidamaru212 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello guys,

I have Acer V7-582PG and I'd like to assure myself whether the battery is still chariging after reaching the full (100%) state. The thing is, with my previous notebooks, I could simply remove the battery and don't care about anything else, however it's impossible with this model (yeah, ultrabook after all) and therefore I'm still a little bit afraid that I might ruin my battery cycle when having connected to the AC power all the day. 

I don't know whether it does matter, but I'm running Windows 10 Home. So, is really the battery still charging after reaching 100% full state or the battery "turns off" as soon as it reach that state for book to run only at AC power? Or eventually, is there a way how to switch completely to AC power supply?

I was searching for the answer, but I couldn't find it for this specific model, however if the topic already exists, then I'm sorry and I'll be glad if you redirect me.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Ami

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

Every battery in any notebook has an integrated controller which does not allow charging after a specific voltage has been reached  (this is what you see as 100%). If it would not be like this and you will still charge it it would overcharge and eventually heat up and blow up.

Most systems have in place the fact that the battery will charge to 100% and then it will not be charged till it will not reach again 95%. So you can see that the battery is at 98% and not charging. In some other notebooks (not acer) there are special settings which allow you how much you should charge the battery (eg maximum charge to be 70%).

The point is that lithium batteries will wear even if you use it just plugged in because the optimal storage of a lithium battery is not at 100% charge. Also heat from the computer itself will cause the battery to wear.

• Amidamaru212
    Amidamaru212 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you very much for your answer. 

So in general, regardless of how carefully I'm be operating with the battery, it will still get worn in the end. So in the end I'll be still forced to get a new one and replace it - what a nuisance with an integrated battery. Anyway, even though this is not something I've been hoping to, thanks once again for the answer. At least I know what approach should I choose. Smiley Happy

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

It's actually better to use from time to time the notebook on battery power. Even if it sounds a little bit counterintuitive. If a battery is not used so often it will lose capacity faster than one which is used, because it is quite a "stress" for a lithium ion battery to maintain the full charge. If a lithium battery needs to be stored for long term it should be stored in cold, and just around 50% of it's charge.

By the way, even if it's integrated battery, it does not mean that it cannot be replaced. They can be replaced if you open the notebook.