Acer V5-131-2680 Realtek audio jack problem

czachry
czachry Member Posts: 11 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives

Acer Aspire V5-131-2680 computer.  Realtek High Definition Audio Default Device duel audio jack does not respond correctly when to you plug in an adapter cable to split between playback (earphone) and recorder input.  Earphone appears to work fine but record appears to continue to default to the computer mike.  This is not acceptable.  I am a ham radio operator and I have applications that required the record input to the computer from a radio.  Due to this problem some time back I finally purchased a USB audio device which works fine but it takes up a USB port that is much needed.  This was a Windows 7 computer up until recently when I upgraded to Windows 10 and hoped it might resolve that problem but it did not.  What is the solution?  Bad driver?  Bad audio plug?

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi

Are you sure that the adapter is good?

I mean I hope you did not make the same mistake as here

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/My-ASPIRE-V5-561-doesn-t-recognize-my-external-microphone-from/m-p/447421#U447421

If the adapter is OK, when you plug in the headset do you select headset from the realtek pop-up menu? Or headphone? Since you plug in a headset you should check headset.

Or do you have any popup at all?

• czachry

I am getting no popup at all.  When I initially plug the adaptor in with no mike in the adaptor input I get no audio input which I would expect.  When I plug a headset into the mike input of the adapter it appears to be getting audio so I disconnect the headset and it is still getting audio probably from the computer mike and that is probably where the audio was originating when the headset was plugged in to the adaptor.  I unplug the adapter from the computer, disconnect the headset and replug the adaptor back into the computer and get the same no input audio again which was expected earlier.  Very annoying.  Any thoughts?  Some time ago I think I tested the adaptor connections to ensure I did not have a short and it was good.

• czachry

I looked at the other post you suggested and I think that person may have also been using the computer mike rather than the headset mike and did not know it.  I never got any popup asking me to select the mike I wanted to use so maybe the driver is corrupt.  Thoughts.

• czachry

The headset is good as I have used it with the USB adaptor that I use now for audio application and also as for radio headset operations.  Believe it or not I got it on Amazon for $15 and it works better than some I paid $50 for.  Works great.

• sharky25k

Hi,

You missunderstand what can be wrong. Are you sure that the adapter is a dual microphone/headphone adapter and not a dual headphone one? That's my question. On the adapter jack itself you have 3 isolating rings (they can be black or white or some other colors)?

However, the problem with the popup is the issue. You computer cannot know for sure what you plugin automatically (eg to be sure that is a headset and not a headphone) that's why it should popup a question about this.

So I think you have realtek sound card. You should go to control pannel, then find here something called realtek or something called hd audio manager.  Open it and there should be a small folder picture in the panel (see the picture below) where you need to click and be sure that you have checked enable popup. I hope this will enable the popup when you plug in the headset and then you will select headset and it should work. If there is no such option I think you will need a different driver. Unfortunately for your notebook model there are no drivers for windows 10.

bla.jpg

• czachry

The adapter is definitely a dual Mike/earphone adapter.  It has four pinouts (a tip and three rings) on the plug and on the jacks there are symbols to indicate which is the Mike jack and the earphone jack.  When I first used the adapter and discovered this issue I think I remember checking the continuity from the plug to the jacks and found all okay.  Since installing Win 10 I have not looked at what you suggest but did when Win7 was installed.  I never saw anything to suggest a selection to be made between computer and external mike when the adapter was plugged in.  I am going check all in Win 10 and get back to you.  By the way when using the adapter the audio output from the computer works fine.

By the way thanks for your help.  I appreciate it very much.  Know just enough about computers to be dangerous.

Charlie Zachry

• czachry

Well with what I think is the Win 10 control panel I get nothing like what you show. It looks like the Win 7 control panel. 

Now that I have tested a little more I think all the connections are okay as I used my headset plugged into the adapter connected to the computer and used that setup with an amateur radio application called Echolink which is voice only and it worked great.  When I tried it with some amateur applications that do code and digital translations it would not work well at all.  I think that Realtek codeact(sp?) in the Acer computer does not work well with some of these amateur apps.  This little USB device which cost about $10 from Amazon really works well for analog to digital translations but it takes up a USB port on my laptop.  The other two USB ports I use for a mouse and the other for push to talk to the radios.  So no more spare USB ports.  I think I am going to have to live with this.

I have an old Win XP computer next to this one and it has handled all of these applications well with the internal sound card.  It is just slow compared to the new ones.  Annoying they do not work well with the sound card in the Acer.

Thanks again.

Charlie Zachry

• sharky25k

Hi,

The screenshot is from my computer (VN7-591G) with windows 10 and Realtek HD audio driver. So it is also in windows 10. For you the driver is the issue in my opinion. Probably it's working but you don't have all the functions of the driver.

Since I also have realtek HD audio as you you can try to install the realtek HD audio drivers provided for other notebooks from acer.

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Audio/Audio_Realtek_6.0.1.7564_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=635772732561997151&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20VN7-591G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

If this driver is not compatible with yours it will not install so I don't think there should be a problem...Probably in this way you will manage to enable the pop-up pannel.

• Leerae
    Leerae Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, I'm running into the same problem.  Since I've ugraded my Acer Aspire 5 to the latest Windows, I can't use my headphones/microphone plugin.  It works on absolutely every other device I have, and it used to work on this laptop.  
    When I tried to follow the instructions you gave above, the Realtek driver didn't give me an option to choose headphones.  It only allowed to me access the driver data for the speakers.  I'm going to try downloading one of the other drivers you've attached here, but if you have any further advice, I would welcome it.
    Leerae :)