Acer V3-574G-74BC Black Screen of Death after Windows Update

poochi
poochi Member Posts: 5 New User

Model: Acer Aspire V3-574G-74BC

I recently bought this laptop and using it for more than a month now, last Sunday(January 17) windows made it's update and since then I am having this issue. I tried reading online forums and find out that its because of a faulty video card driver included on the recent windows update, I try to follow instructions on how to fix it  like un-installing the videocard driver and re-installing it, still the same, I have 2 video display adapter, one Nvia GeForce 940M and the other one is the built in display adapter Intel HD 5500, try it on both display adapter and still the same, I try to use the built in Windows 10 Reset function and I was able to have the display back but if I try to lock the screen or do restart or Shutdown and Restart it will revert back to blackscreen, I try pressing the windows logo+P selected all the option on how to project the screen, still the same, I even try to boot to safe mode and safemode with networking but it would  not boot to save mode. I was thinking of getting windows 10 installation disc or media but before that I try my old windows 7 installer and it would not even boot to optical drive even if I already change it's boot sequece or priority to CD Rom Drive. Anyone who have an experience dealing with this issue and was able to succesfully fix it. I really need help on this. Thanks in Advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

it's one of the big mistake on windows 10, the drivers automatic updates, especially on graphic drivers.

the best way is to enter safe mode, uninstall the Intel graphic adapter, ticking also to uninstall software; browse to c:\Intel and deleted all the files related to graphic installation (you can delete Intel folder too).

about entering safe mode, you can follow instruction for Recovery drive:

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

you can try to boot pressing ALT+F10 to start the recovery and then follow that instructions to enter safe mode or use an USB recovery/media installation:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Windows-10-Installation-Recovery-Media-Creation-and-Use/ta-p/394236

then you need to disable the drivers autoupdate:

http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • poochi

Thanks Ironfly, I will try your recommendation and hopefully it will bring my laptop to life Smiley Happy, I will provide you with the update later once at home and after completing the instructions you provided on this thread. Thanks again. 

• poochi

Update:

No luck in having the screen back after un-installing the onboard graphics driver, but GOOD NEWS,  I was able to have it back after re-installing Windows using the installation media I created on a usb drive following the link IronFly posted on this thread. The only issue I have I have is that I lost the programs pre-installed on my laptop, few seconds delay for screen to respond, I lost the Dolby sound  quality but that's fine at least I have the computer working and with it's current issue, I can still do the work around as I can now see the screen. Thanks IronFly Smiley Happy

• IronFly
    You welcome.
    You can download the Acer software from the official support website and downloading the audio driver, you will have the dolby back.
  • poochi

Ok, I will Thanks again Smiley Happy

• IronFly
    I forgot....check about BIOS update too.
  • poochi

Ok, I will, Thanks

• Donny-Z
    Donny-Z Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi,

I also have black screen problem with Acer V3-574G.