Acer V3-571G (x64) only displays 4GB of 8GB usable RAM.

Options
megamatt
megamatt Member Posts: 1 New User

I have a small issue friends,

It's been plaguing me for a while, and only started occurring after I had sent off my laptop to get repaired on warranty. It no longer is. My laptop used to operate at the full 8GB, but has since only been allowed me to utilise 4GB of RAM. 

I understand that some users are able to access advanced features in the BIOS and subsequently adjust chipset settings to remap the memory, but advanced settings don't appear for me - I'm under the impression it's because they're locked out, is that correct?

System info:

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.151019-1254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire V3-571G
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.71.48V1.13
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3934MB RAM

Steps I have taken to try and tackle the problem:

1. Update system drivers.

2. Update BIOS. 

3. Refit the RAM manually.

4. Accessed msconfig > boot > advanced options > checked maximum memory (max 4096 appears).

Any ideas on how to solve this issue? I miss being able to render things and playing games with high video-settings.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Do you have 2 separate dimms? One wasn;t removed and not put back in?

Take one out and boot, check how much memory is shown. then shut down and swap the two.

Maybe one is dead.

Try going to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/System Configuration/Boot/Advanced Options and ,in the upper right, checkmark Maximum memory and if it stays empty, put in 8192.Click ok.