Acer V3-371 : Replace Atheros Wifi Module

Options
antocaso
antocaso Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi,
my new Acer V3-371 has serious problems with the its wifi network adapter Atheros AR9462.
Both windows 8 and linux have several disconnections.
Maybe a BIOS and driver upgrade can solve windows problems but with Linux (that I use more frequently) has very bugged driver.

So I'd like relpace the Atheros wifi module with an Intel 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino Advanced-N 6235.
I'd like know if it is compatible with my asus or problems can occur.

Some users (http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Acer-Aspire-V3-731-and-an-Intel-3160HMW/td-p/274596), with another acer notebook, had problems with a different Intel module and used a broadcom adapter; but also broadcom adapter, like atheros, is poorly supported from linux, so I prefer Intel.

Does anyone know if there may be compatibility issues with the intel card that I mentioned?

Thanks a lot!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

You might have problems in Linux and only have G (54 Mbps max).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2235768

Broadcom BCM943228HMB Combo WiFi/BT card dual band seems to work good in Acer V3-371.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Acer-Aspire-V3-731-and-an-Intel-3160HMW/td-p/274596

Finding drivers that work perfect for intel wifi in Acers, for me, is difficult.

• antocaso
    antocaso Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hi philetus,

thanks for your answer.

I already used "swcrypto=1" and "bt_coex_active=N" parameters in my configuration. The laptop connects to network but I have many disconnetions and packet's lost. Looking around on google, this is a frequent problem with Atheros modules.

I know that Broadcom BCM943228HMB works well with Windows, but I use linux and I don't know if that card works well with it.

I'm sure that Intel is full supported from Linux, so I'd like use an Intel Card, but I don't know how find if it will work before buy it.

• raggar
    raggar Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi, 

I have the same laptop and I also have a lot of trouble with the wifi. I run Ubuntu but on windows I had the same problem. 

After buying a new wifi chip, intel 7260NGW I still had the same problems. 

So I tried a few different things and I noticed that I had a very strong and fast connection without the bottom lid screwed on... So I think the signal is being blocked by the casing itself. I think it is the copper paint they used on the inner side of the bottom side...

Now I only have to figure out how to give the antennas more room for a good connection. Any suggestions?

• seattlematt
    seattlematt Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

It seems like people are complaing of this problem also on the v15 series.  Does anyone know if it has the same paint?  I need to purchase 50 new laptops and the V15 or V3 are my top choices, but WiFi performance is mandantory for my application.