Acer Recovery Manager will not run V3 371

DeedeeV3
DeedeeV3 Member Posts: 4 New User

I purchased an Acer Aspire V13 V3-371-558L yesterday.

The first thing i did was try to create a set of backup disks.

Using windows + Q i find the program Acer Recovery Manager.

I have tried to run it many times and also tried to run it as Administrator, but it will not run.

I can create a recovery from the operationg system to a USB drive, but this is not what i want, I wish to be able to create a set or two of disks via an external cd/dvd writer, and as far as i know, i should be able to do this.

Its very frustrating as i have looked over this site and the net in general and found this problem has happened in the past, but there does not seem to be a solution, which is crazy when the computer manufacturers own software wont run.

if some one can tell me of tests or technical dumps i can do to help diagnose this, please do soSmiley Happy

Please, someone tell me i'm wrong and the answer is simple before i return this computer, i really liked it until this,

Many thanks,

Deedee

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

with the introduction of windows 8.1, you can only create a recovery media on USB flash drive.

so, CD/DVD are not supported.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • DeedeeV3

Thats a shame that real disk backups cannot be created.

The recovery disk i created was just under 16Gb, which seem a rather large backup, and i would like to be able to verify the data on the SD card to ensure it is correct.

And though helpfull still leaves the question of why a new computer wont run the software which leads to further questions of-what else may not be working properly.

There must be benifits to running Acers own software else they would not have included it, such as verifying the recovery information and maybe smaller file size and the ability to recover and replace files that may become dammaged?

Many thanks for a quick reply,

Deedee

• maikal
    maikal Member Posts: 16 New User

It's not the same model, but I bought an veriton m10 used with a reformated hard drive and no windows. I just loaded the windows 7 through a recovery disk I purchased on ebay. worked fine. But I tired to download the drivers on a usb drive but they wont open, pc cant find them. The system wont let me extract them from their zip files download from Acer site. any suggestions? Can I try dowloading to disk? or should I choose "open" option rather than "Save" option?  I downloaded them through another computer because of course the recovery disk does not contain the drivers to get on the internet.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

• IronFly

DeedeeV3 wrote:

There must be benifits to running Acers own software else they would not have included it, such as verifying the recovery information and maybe smaller file size and the ability to recover and replace files that may become dammaged?

Many thanks for a quick reply,

Deedee

Honestly?

the Acer erecovery software to create recovery media....is just a shortcut to the windows default software, so no way to check it.

by the way, all the time i created one, i never had an issue, apart a faulty USB flash drive.

16GB is the correct size, since the Acer recovery partition is about the same size.

• IronFly

maikal wrote:

It's not the same model, but I bought an veriton m10 used with a reformated hard drive and no windows. I just loaded the windows 7 through a recovery disk I purchased on ebay. worked fine. But I tired to download the drivers on a usb drive but they wont open, pc cant find them. The system wont let me extract them from their zip files download from Acer site. any suggestions? Can I try dowloading to disk? or should I choose "open" option rather than "Save" option?  I downloaded them through another computer because of course the recovery disk does not contain the drivers to get on the internet.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

This is another question, not related to thread title, please open a new one. Smiley Happy

• maikal
    maikal Member Posts: 16 New User

Oops Sorry, will do!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

If you're worried about the integrity of the USB recovery backup, then just get two USB drives and make two recovery backups.  You can also go to FileHistory in the Windows control panel and make a system image backup (you must use a regular hard drive for this.. not a thumb drive).  You will then have your recovery  in 4 places.  

If you mess up your boot partition (EFI partiton), you can use free tool from micrsoft in link below to fix, and then use your recovery drive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

--two USB recovery backups

-- one image

--your recovery partition

If Acer recovery software is broken, then use this to create a USB recovery drive:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

To restore your USB recovery, use google or youtube for instructions.

So for around $20, you'll have 4 recovery backups.  Cheaper than paying Acer $45 for the factory recovery software that you can buy from them.

http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

• JordanB

But to answer your question.......

You don't really need the Acer recovery management software to make a recovery backup.  The Acer recovery management software does have the bonus of allowing you to make a seperate APPS and Drivers DVD.

You can make your recovery drive from Windows 8 without the Acer Recovery software by using the builtin recovery feature of windows.  (Which is what the Acer Recovery software does anyway).  

The windows recovery backup will copy your recovery partition and you'll have a factory default USB drive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

Edit: I had the same thing happen with the Acer recovery management software not working on one of my computers and also on my neighbors computer.  But like I said, the Acer recovery software is not critical because it's really Windows 8 that is making the factory default recovery USB drive and not Acer software.  

• DeedeeV3

Thank you for your quick reply, i have a couple of last questions on this.

The acer backup software created two 'disks', one the OS and another for the drivers and apps.

From this then i take it i could choose to install drivers but not the aps that acer beleives and system enhancments?

As it stands i have a 120Gb HDD

Used space on my HDD of 29Gb

Free space on HDD of 66.4GB.

I would like to have approching a 100GB free, which in this day and age for a power user is not huge.

So with the removal of the hidden partion i should recover another 16Gb.

But this leaves me with the manual removal of the 'enhancment apps' that Acer placed on the system.

Now i could spend many hours deleting these, that i'm not intrested in, do not need and take up spce on an already limited system, or am i not correct that with the correct set of installation files that the software should make, simply chose not to install at all?

With such a limited amount of space and the time it could take to remove such items ( as often, though i do not know in this case, when you attempt to uninstall some thing it requests the installation software to run its own uninstaller) this could be problematic.

Add to this that though two people have tried very hard to help and that help IS VERY appreciated, and i thank you for it, not solution has been offered as to WHY this is happening and how it could be fixed? If i'm having a problem with this then i suspect many others are too, who simply do not know how to even ask the question of how to fix this, let alone fix it for themselves.

So could some one actualy explain WHY the software has failed on a brand new computer out of the box, and explain either why it should fail or why it cannot be fix by some means, and if it cannot be fixed why not. I beleive that Acer is deeply proud of their product and that it should not fail out of the box in this manner, without some simple solution such as providing a replacment of the software to allow this procedure to take place as they designed.

One other point.

When i purchased the computer i was not aware that backups of the software could only be made onto a usb drive, i wish the computing world would make this clear at the point of purchase, or include a cheap USB stick with this data on it, but then i guess that may put the uninitiated off, more so when things get a little tricky.

With many thanks for your advice on a work around to this,

Deedee Smiley Happy

• JordanB

"From this then i take it i could choose to install drivers but not the aps that acer beleives and system enhancments?"

If you use the recovery USB drive, it will put everything back to where it was when you first took it out of the box including all orignal drivers and apps.  

If you use the Apps and Drivers backup, yes, you can pick and choose which app or driver that you want to install if you accidentally deleted/uninstalled something.  To be honest, most of the Apps on that DVD are probably going to be out dated.  Most people will choose to uninstall the old version on their computer and download the new version of the Apps from the Acer website.  Same with the drivers.  For the most part, the Apps and Recovery backup only has Cyber Link Power DVD that is worthwhile.

The Apps and Drivers backup is more for someone who didn't have an internet connection and was unable to download them.

Most everything else can be downloaded with newer version here:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

And here:

https://www.cloud.acer.com/ops/downloads

Again, the only App that I was unable to find on the Acer website is Cyber Link Power DVD.  So the Apps and Driver backup is important for that.