Acer Care Center does not show driver updates (Aspire VN7-592G)

hgmichna
hgmichna Member Posts: 22 New User

I have two nearly identical Acer Aspire VN7-592G laptops and just set up the second one. Its Acer Care Center, in the Update section, shows these tabs: critical updates, general updates, driver updates, update history. Two driver updates were offered, and I selected them both and got the updates.

On the first one the Acer Care Center shows only two update tabs: critical updates, update history. Why are the other three tabs missing? What can I do to get driver updates on that computer as well? What can I do to get the other tabs also?

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hello,

Personally I don't use it. I prefer to check the driver updates from the Acer support website:

http://www.acer.com/ac/de/DE/content/support-product/6403;-;Aspire%20VN7-592G

France
  • hgmichna

Thanks, that makes sense.

Have you found any convenient way to find out which drivers are not up to date and need updating? On my computer the AcerCareCenterLiveUpdater.exe that is offered on the web page refuses to work, possibly because I have upgraded to Windows 10 Professional.

• laurent_14

Have you found any convenient way to find out which drivers are not up to date and need updating?

Not really. I use Device manager, msinfo32.exe or HWiNFO (portable version) and I compare the drivers version.

France
  • hgmichna

[Edited after problem was solved.]

laurent_14 wrote:

> Hello,

> Personally I don't use it. I prefer to check the driver updates from the Acer support website:

> http://www.acer.com/ac/de/DE/content/support-product/6403;-;Aspire%20VN7-592G

I went to that web site and entered the serial number of my Acer Aspire VN7-592G. The page offered a whole range of current drivers etc. for updating my computer.

I started by updating the Intel driver updater and the Intel chip set driver, which worked as expected.

Then I downloaded the latest BIOS, version 1.10, which came as an EXE file. I started that, and it updated the BIOS after an automatic reboot. After updating, it rebooted the computer again automatically, with the following result. (I replaced uninteresting parts with three dots.)

----- Screen output begins -----

Intel UNDI. PCE-2.1 (build 083)

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.61 (01/07/15)

CLIENT MAC ADDR: ... GUID: ...

PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PCE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

----- Screen output ends -----

Needless to say, the computer has been turned into a door stop, and the case is obviously urgent for me.

Addendum

After calming down I checked the BIOS settings, only to find that the BIOS update had apparently changed settings back to unusable defaults, in particular from UEFI boot to Legacy boot.

I changed the boot setting back to UEFI, and this solved the problem.

Sorry for my panic posting, but it remains a defect that will shock and delay every user who updates the BIOS. I think the BIOS update should retain these essential settings.

• hgmichna

The web page http://www.acer.com/ac/de/DE/content/support-product/6403;-;Aspire%20VN7-592G shows at least one driver that I cannot locate on my Aspire VN7-592G:

OthersIntelThunderbolt Driver10.1.1.951.9 MB2015/10/20

Where does it hide? How can I determine which driver version I have installed?

• laurent_14

Hello,

After a bios update, you must always load the default settings like this:

1. Press [F2] when you see the Acer logo
    2. Press [F9] to load the default settings
    3. Press [F10] to save and exit.

I think you can see it in Programs and Features (Intel software). To see it in the Device manager, it's necessary to connect a Thunderbolt device. Sorry but I have no knowledges in this technology.

France
  • Soszy
    Soszy Member Posts: 4 New User

How about when acercarecenterliveupdate says your laptop is not supported, and i also have acer vn7-592g-74en....