Acer Aspire VX 15 i7 Kaby Lake Maximum speed of M2 SSD and DDR4 SO-DIMM?

Options
kenneth_ottesen
kenneth_ottesen Member Posts: 38 Devotee WiFi Icon

I just ordered a Acer Aspire VX 15 i7 Kaby Lake notebook. What is the maximum speed of M2 SSD and DDR4 SO-DIMM? What can I upgrade it to?

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

Install HWiNFO64 program, expand Bus,expand PCI Bus, highlight PCI Express Port 9 and post look for Maximum Link Width on the rigt panel, if it's 2x or4x, you can install a NVMe SSD. Post the snip here.

Capture.JPG

• kenneth_ottesen
    Options
  • brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

You can install a NVMe SSD but you may get half the speed advertised by the manufacturers, this has been discussed here in this thread:http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Why-is-the-M2-PCIE-slot-speed-capped-to-1-5GBs-VN7-592G-71ZL/m-p/394275#M6242

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Could you please post the full model name.

• kenneth_ottesen
    Options
    According to the webshop, it is Acer Aspire VX5-591G. IT has DDR4 SO-DIMM with 2400mhz installed, so I was hoping for the 2666mhz to fit.
  • kenneth_ottesen
    Options
    Thanks! I apppreciate your help in the jungle of hardware websites! Smiley Happy
  • CHRISMOK
    CHRISMOK Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    My model is VX5-591G-52HZ
    But I can't find PCI#9
    Is it not possible to install PCIE M.2?
  • anivorlis
    anivorlis Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi, 

I have exactly the same result as CHRISMOK above.
    Is it possible to install an M.2 nvme ssd?
    I am interesting in installing the samsung 960 evo or 970 evo.

Do we need a bios upgrade for the PCIe #9 to show?

Thanks!
  • siny79
    siny79 Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited August 2018
    Options
    CHRISMOK said:
    But I can't find PCI#9

Before buying nvme ssd for my laptop (VX5-591G as well) I also checked hwinfo for pci#9 lane info and - just like in Your case - couldn't find it on the list. I took the risk and bought 960 EVO taking into account that I would return it if it won't work with my m.2 slot. But it did, without any problems. I'm not saying that it would work in Your case. I'm only saying that the lack of the pci#9 lane in the hwinfo isn't a 100% verdict. And another thing... I now know that vx15 can properly recognize 960 evo, I don't know if it can do the same with the newer 970 evo. I guess it should, but... Maybe try google that info. Maybe someone already did this upgrade and can tell for sure.
    Good luck.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    anivorlis said:
    Hi, 

I have exactly the same result as CHRISMOK above.
    Is it possible to install an M.2 nvme ssd?
    I am interesting in installing the samsung 960 evo or 970 evo.

Do we need a bios upgrade for the PCIe #9 to show?

Thanks!
    Hi,
    Yes, it will work as  @siny79 stated above, HWiNFO suitable for E series and F series laptop but it's not reliable in certain models.
  • anivorlis
    anivorlis Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    siny79 said:
    CHRISMOK said:
    But I can't find PCI#9

Before buying nvme ssd for my laptop (VX5-591G as well) I also checked hwinfo for pci#9 lane info and - just like in Your case - couldn't find it on the list. I took the risk and bought 960 EVO taking into account that I would return it if it won't work with my m.2 slot. But it did, without any problems. I'm not saying that it would work in Your case. I'm only saying that the lack of the pci#9 lane in the hwinfo isn't a 100% verdict. And another thing... I now know that vx15 can properly recognize 960 evo, I don't know if it can do the same with the newer 970 evo. I guess it should, but... Maybe try google that info. Maybe someone already did this upgrade and can tell for sure.
    Good luck.

Thanks for you reply, I think I will give it a try with the 970 evo, the 250GB one.
    What was the size of the 960 evo that you have successfully installed?
  • kenneth_ottesen
    Options
    I recently installed a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1000GB M.2 2280 PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe) that seems to be working fine. I also tested the write speed with Samsung Magician that came up with Maximum performance equal to the specification provided by Samsung.
  • matiasmoreira
    matiasmoreira Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @kenneth_ottesen ! Sorry to bother you with the same question, I am in the search for information about whether the VX5-591G supports the M.2 NVMe SSD disk. Could you tell me your experience please? I greatly appreciate your help. Greetings.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi @kenneth_ottesen ! Sorry to bother you with the same question, I am in the search for information about whether the VX5-591G supports the M.2 NVMe SSD disk. Could you tell me your experience please? I greatly appreciate your help. Greetings.

Yes your VX5-591G can take the PCIe Gen-3 x4/ NVMe SSD drives and Acer has the SSDPEKK W512G7 PCIe NVMe M.2 listed but you can use bigger capacities and other brands also. 
  • kenneth_ottesen
    Options
    It still performs greatly. You will experience a significant improvement in writing and reading performance towards the disk. Windows however, will not necessarily become that much more efficient, due to the OS limitations itself.
    I also installed maximum amount of RAM to enhance multitasking. Samsung SSDs is in my experience reliable too.
  • matiasmoreira
    matiasmoreira Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    I appreciate your responses. I hope you are fine.