Acer Aspire VN7-591G Keyboard Backlight in Windows 10?

Zumalacarregui
Zumalacarregui Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

When I bought my Acer Aspire V15 Nitro, it had a keyboard backlight. I upgraded to Windows 10 and lost all the pre-installed software, and I can't get the backlight to turn on anymore. I've tried pressing Fn+F9, which is the only suggestion I've found online so far, and I can't find any missing drivers. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Answers

• msbartek
    msbartek Member Posts: 4 New User
    Have you managed to solve your problem so you could share solution with me? I have the same issue with my Acer V15 Nitro. I bought it with Windows 10 preinstalled and keyboard backlight doesn't work.
  • sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

There is no special driver for the keyboard backlight. Does the light show up right after you push the power button and start the notebook?

If not, that could mean some sort of hardware problem, like the backlight cable was loose and it disconnected or something else.

• msbartek

Hi,

Firstly, I must admit that unfortunately I don't have phsyical access to this notebook right now, since I'm not its main user, so I'm not able to check the suggestions right away.

No, the keyboard backlight doesn't show up either on battery or AC. I've made some research and found some info in the internet that there's program called Launch Manager and it's somehow related with fn keys in notebooks. Can it potentially have impact on the keyboard backlight? Other fn keys work properly (volume, brightness, etc.).

Regarding your suggestion that the wire can be loose - is it hard to open this notebook and check if this is issue? (praising the cover in my old samsung notebook was a real struggle). And what's going to happen with notebook warranty if I open it?

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

I have the 591G and I don't use launch manager and everything is fine with the back light. I hate the that software. It's just a bloatware in my opinion. Acer should think to provide separately the coolbost and dustdefender.

Well there are plenty of videos on youtube how to open a 591g notebook. Basically the first thing which you remove is the keyboard, and when you want to remove it you need to disconnect two cables. One is the keyboard itself and the other one (smaller one) is the backlight. It's not hard to check it. Regarding the warranty, well it depends on the country, here somebody more experienced can tell you.

The most important is to check if the keyboard light comes up before windows is loaded, right after you start the notebook.

• msbartek

Ok, thanks for your help! As soon as I check it, I'll post the results here, at the forum.

• msbartek

Hi again,

I've checked that keyboard cable. Indeed it was disconnected! Plugged it into the only free socket on motherboard and the light came up immediately right after turning on the notebook next time. Again, thank you very much for your suggestion, it saved me a lot time!

Opening the notebook wasn't as hard as I had thought, a screwdriver and a plastic card is enough. I wonder how this could have happened and I have a theory. The notebook came with additional SSD disk mounted by online shop where it was bought (the SSD wasn't bought separately). I bet that anyone responsible for mounting that disk didn't replug the cable properly.

BTW, that additional SSD probably caused another issue - there were problems with installing some programs, e.g. Visual Studio 2015. Probably OS was cloned from factory HDD disk to SSD (not reinstalled) and not everything went smooth. I had to make a fresh installation and everything works perfectly now. The additional benefit is that I got rid off all that Acer bloatware, all drivers were installed by Windows Update and updated with Driver Booster. Maybe this will help someone with similar problem.