Acer Aspire V5-573G UEFI problems??

pakalnss96
pakalnss96 Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello,

I have Acer Aspire V5-573G. Before all problems begin I used Legacy BIOS mode with Windows 10 Pro 64bit OS. Have latest BIOS v2.30.

So recently I decide to switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI mode and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro 64bit with UEFI mode enabled with GPT partition style. Everything went good with installation.

Now I face following issues with UEFI and Windows 10 witch I didn't have in Legacy BIOS mode:

1. when laptop goes to sleep and is not touched for a while, I'm unable to wake up laptop. Pressing any key on keyboard or touching touchpad doesn't wake up it either. Only way is to press Power button to completely shutdown it and then turn it on again. I'm not sure if it's something to do with Windows settings to fix this.
  2. Restarting Windows sometimes shutdown laptop. This is really strange... Windows shows it's restarting, screen goes black and doesn't boot anymore, instead it shutdown laptop.??
  3. And when I'm shutting down system, it doesn't fully turn it off. Often the blue light still flashes, CPU and GPU fans are still working and again to fully shutdown system I have to press Power button.

Are these problems somehow related to UEFI, because I had no such problems with Legacy mode and Windows 10. This starts to annoy me when laptop doesn't fully shuts down.

Any help on this?

Thank you!

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello,

Well I see that some of these problems are described by others as well on windows 10 and different notebooks.

A few solutions have been suggested but I am not sure if these will help you in any way.

First, one of the options was to disable fast startup and try to see if it solves your problem.(mainly the shutdown issue)

Go in power options, and select from left "Chose what the power buttons do". Here click on "change settings that are curently unavailable" and uncheck fast startup, and see if it will solve the problem.

Another idea was to disable hibernate for windows. You can do it in the same way as described above but uncheck hibernate or run the this command in an elevated command prompt(run cmd as administrator) powercfg /h off.

The last suggestion was to turn on hybrid sleep on your current power plan. Go to power options, and for your current power plan click "change plan settings". Here click on "change advanced power settings" and look for sleep in the new window. Open the node and at "allow hybrid sleep" select ON.

I am not sure if any of these will solve the issue but you can give a try.

• pakalnss96

Hi,

Thanks for suggestions. I'll keep them in mind in case anything strange like that happen again, but it seems it was a driver problem.

Using Intel ME driver directly from Intel not Acer seems to solved problems.

By the way I had problems with Acer's Intel HD graphics driver witch crashed now and then, but once I forced it to use Intel's driver, driver doesn't crash anymore.

Thanks for help.

• pakalnss96

Hi JordanB,

Using driver directly from Intel seems to solve issues, but I'll keep it monitoring and see if nothing like this happen again.

Thanks!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Ok sounds good.  I'm fairly confident that new intel ME driver will resolve the sleep/hang isssue with Windows 10 and Haswell ULT.  What I'm not confident about is whether it will introduce any new bug since I don't have your computer model and never tested it on your computer.  Smiley Happy  I think a lot of people are still using the workaround of the Windows 8.1 ME driver but I've been using the new ME driver (from intel's website) for a couple months and it seems to be working good.  I spent waaay too much time trying to resolve that very frustrating issue. 

The main thing to be on the lookout for in your monitoring would be if your computer unexpectedly woke up from sleep while it was in your computer bag.......which would be unlikely but weird stuff has happened on some computers in the past for all sorts of reasons.  So that's why I say use the new ME driver from Intel's website at your own risk. Smiley Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Just to let you know that the driver in link below seems to work a little better (for me) from a performance standpoint (turbo boost standpoint).  And it's the driver that most people w/ haswell-ULT use for the windows 10  sleep/hang--shutdown/hang workaround.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23091/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-1-5M-for-Intel-NUC

I'm not an Acer employee.