Acer Aspire V5 573G Randomly shuts down

Siemen
Siemen Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi all,

I have my laptop for about 2 years now and use it daily for my work. I often put it to sleep instead of shutting it down since I take it with me all the time and use it at several places.

2 days ago after putting it to sleep and going to a different place I tried turning it on again. After pressing the powerbutton is started and I saw the acer logo on the screen but after a second the laptop just shutted down. The same thing happened a few times after each other. Also note, I sometimes had to press the power button 2 or 3 times before something would happen.

Then the computer stayed on for a longer while but after 5-10 minutes just started shutting down again. When this happens it first shows the "shutting down" signal and then abruptly turns off. As if it loses power.

After that I got it to turn on and it worked without problems for the rest of the day, and yesterday as well. (Even though I didn't do anything).

Today the same problem occured again. Not starting, starting for a few seconds and shutting down again, then after 5 minutes, then after 10. Now it's been running for about 20 minutes.

I already tried the battery reset. I also opened up the laptop and cleaned out the fans but that didn't help.

Two times it also automatically went into recovery mode but when I tried the repair problems options, it started to shut down again.

TLDR: My computer randomly shuts down and have no clue what is going on. Does anybody have any idea on what might be the problem or what I might need to try? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I run windows 8.1 and BIOS Version/Date:Insyde Corp. V2.28, 16/04/2014.

Answers

• Siemen

Nobody an idea? I've been experiencing more of this over the last few days. Sometimes my laptop stays on for 2 seconds, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes hours. It happens with the charger plugged in, but also without the charger plugged in.

It also appears as if something happens to the memory/cookies or something. A forum where I've never had to log in ever since starting using this laptop askes me to log in again.

Edit: Apparently every website where I had an account asks me to log in again.

• Siemen

Ok, the last three times it shut down it happened when I was doing this:

First two times when I tried to plug in an external hard drive in a usb port on the left, close to the power button. I remember it has shutdown before when I unplugged my mouse from that same usb port.

Last time it happened when I pressed the tab key.

Now going to try the other usb port and see if I can find a structure in when it shuts down.

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

First I would like to apologize that we didn't get to give a reply to your post before.

I have a few question to try to get to the button of what is causing the shutdown.

Does your laptop over heat?

Have you done any change to the device? Any updates?

Another thing, have you tried to reinstall the operating System to factory?

You could also contact Acer repair in your region for support.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • Siemen

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

The computer does not overheat.

I only did the windows updates but I can't recall that I did an update before it started happening.

I haven't tried to reinstall the operating system to factory. Is there a way to do this without having to reinstall all software and replace files manually?

I contacted the store where I bought it but, since I moved a year ago, it's in another country and I couldn't bring it back to them. They told me it will 8 chances out of 10 be a defect in the motherboard and that I have bad luck, since it started happening one week after my warranty was due. Almost suspicious...

Anyway. Since last week it has been happening a few times again. One day I just can't get it to start at all. The other day it works fine, like now. I just don't get it.

• Siemen

So... Yesterday I wanted to make a backup but pluging an external hard drive into the usb port made the computer shut down again and ever since I can't get it to fully start again.

Every time I manage to get it started I see the Acer screen and it shuts down within 5 seconds.

It seems to happen both on battery and on the cable.

• Karp-Acer_Retired

We suggest you check if your device has the updated BIOs, if not, make sure you download the correct BIOS for your specific product and use the following steps in the given order. Installing an incorrect BIOS update may cause serious damage to your computer system. Any failure due to incorrect use of these updates is at own risk. Our Customer Care representatives can guide you through the whole process in case of need.

Steps:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15798/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDc4MTcyNTg3L3NpZC9ZR1VId0oybg%3D%3D

How to locate the current BIOs version:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15796

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • Siemen

As written in my first post:

I run windows 8.1 and BIOS Version/Date:Insyde Corp. V2.28, 16/04/2014.

Is this a wrong one?

• Karp-Acer_Retired

We suggest you check the available BIOs in our website.

The following available drivers according to the Model and OS  Windows 8.1 64bits.

BIOS Acer Fix ghost key when pressed 'right shift' key and exchange ‘q’ and ‘s’ key 2.30 3.4 MB 2015/01/20 Download
    BIOS Acer Fix system sometime shutdown by PECI read fail in Win PE 2.29 3.4 MB 2014/10/20 Download
    BIOS Acer Add hybridGraphics function for N15P-GT VGA 2.28 3.4 MB 2014/05/13 Download
    BIOS Acer Enhance LAN and Card Reader performance 2.25 3.4 MB 2014/02/07 Download
    BIOS Acer BIOS 2.24 3.4 MB 2013/11/18 Download

• Siemen

Hi all,

In the meantime my laptop was not able to restart whatsoever anymore and I had to buy a new one.

At the computer store where I bought it they also do fixing. They told me 9 chances out of 10 it will be the motherboard that's is broken and would need to be replaced. So after 2 years and 2 weeks, after already having to replace the screen that wasn't working properly anymore, the motherboard is broken. Since it's two weeks after my warranty expired, I cannot exchange it.

Instead of spending any more money on this thing I decided to buy myself a new laptop, obviously from a different brand.

Never buying acer again.