Acer Aspire V5-572P WiFi issue after upgrade to Win 10

Options
derekm
derekm Member Posts: 9 New User

After upgrading  to Windows 10 my wifi is very spotty and only picks up 1 bar 5 feet from router, beyond that no bars.  Got 5 bars all over house with win 8.1.  I've been researching for a while and even had Microsoft remote my machine to fix it,  no go.  I've updated driver and followed other prescribed methods found on internet.  Please help!!!

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Can you post the driver versions that you've tried?

Where are you getting the drivers? microsoft? acer care center app? acer downloads? manufacturer website?

Again, please post the exact driver versions that you have tried.  Please check device manager to see what driver version you currently have installed too.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • bugspop1
    bugspop1 Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

Options

I had a very similar problem with 2 of 3 V5 573p-6896 Laptops.  After Upgrading them to Windows 10 I lost all ability to connect to WiFi Signal.  We had all the Bars when on Windows 8 and 8.1.  I tried many different Drivers from Acer, The Card Manufacturer and finally Microsoft.  None of the Drivers I tried worked and I was tired of playing!

The solution I finally came to was to Replace the WiFi/BT Card.

This is the Card I replaced them with on the two that weren't working: Qualcomm Atheros QCWB335

I picked them up on Ebay for under $3.00 each!

Very easy access on these laptops.  There were 17 Screws on the Back Cover, carefully remove Back Cover, Disconnect two Cables attached to Card, Remove Screw holding the Card down on the motherboard, pull the old card out of the slot, put new card in, then reverse the procedure above!  The wire connections are small and can be a bit difficult to get back on the new card, just take your time.

Funny thing is; the card I removed from my Acer Aspire V5 573p-6896 I put into my Old Acer Aspire 5742z-4601 Laptop with Windows 10 installed.  The card worked fine in that laptop and now has Bluetooth capabilities which it never had before!

• derekm
    Options

I've tried 10.0.0.318 from the Acer driver site as well as 10.0.0.324 & 10.0.0.326 from the Atheros website with no luck.

• bugspop1

Tinkerer

Options

Try using this driver from Windows 8.1 64-bit  10.0.0.263.

Acer Aspire V5 572P WLAN Driver Win 8.1

The card I had a problem with was the Qualcomm Atheros AR5B22!

This card does however work in my Acer Aspire 5742z-4601 Laptops w/Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

If that doesn't work, I'd still recommend trying a Different WiFi/Bluetooth Card.

I used the same card (Qualcomm Atheros QCWB335) on both my laptops, one came from an Acer Aspire and the other came from a Toshiba Satellite.  Both cards work fine in my laptops with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

• JordanB
    Options

Step 1:  Go to Device Manager and uninstall/delete your wireless driver.  Make sure you also tick the box to delete driver software.  Click OK. Wait 1 minute.  Restart your computer.

Step: 2:  Repeat step 1 until it resolves the problem.  It may take multiple uninstalls/deletes.  In other words, you may have to repeat step 1 many times.

Step 3:  After multiple uninstalls/deletes/restarts, locate the Acer Care Center app on your computer.  If it has a wireless driver update for you, then use that.

The photo below is strictly for example purposes only.

undeldrv.PNG

• derekm
    Options

How will i know when its fully gone?  won't be in list anymore?

• derekm
    Options

After the first uninstall I get status warning - "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device."  I don't have the checkbox to remove the driver anymore either so I'm not its working.

• JordanB
    Options

Ok.  Now try to use Acer Care Center app and update your wireless driver with Acer Care Center app.

If you don't know how to use Acer Care Center app.....just ask.

• derekm
    Options

I don't have the app on my computer,  went to download it and it said it wasn't compatible with my computer

• JordanB
    Options

OK. Check Device manager and see if it has installed a new driver for you.  Click the "Update Driver".

updatedrv.PNG

If it doesn't download a new driver for you, then let me know.

• derekm
    Options

says the best driver is installed,  weird because it gives a warning and still won't work

• JordanB
    Options

What won't work?  How does your WIFI work?

• JordanB
    Options

What gives a warning?  I didn't ask you to uninstall anymore. Please stop uninstalling.  I was simply trying to make sure that you got all those drivers that you installed previously ......uninstalled from your computer.

Try the driver again from Acer website for your model.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

• derekm
    Options

It gives a warning in the Driver details that it's not digitally signed.  I upgraded to the current driver on Acer site 10.0.0.318 but I still can't get an internet signal beyond 10 feet from my router.

• JordanB
    Options

Ok.  Lets take a different approach. Smiley Happy

1.  Download the driver from Acer's website

2.  Extract

3. Double click the folder "Install_CD"

4.  Scroll down to "Setup" application and double click.

• bugspop1

Tinkerer

Options

I know I've posted about Changing out the WiFi/Bluetooth Card in your laptop.  I did this on Two of our 3 Acer Aspire V5 573p-6896 laptops (I used the Qualcomm Atheros QCWB335 that I purchased on Ebay for under $3 shipped).  It's an extremely easy process and should fix your problem.

Believe me, I tried everything that JordanB has offered for help before doing this.

The only thing I found that worked was to revert back to Windows 8.1 and I didn't want that!

Reverting the Win 8.1 Drivers didn't work for me either, had to be the whole Operating System.

If I wanted to use WiFi after the upgrade to Win10, I had to sit in the same room no more than 5-6 feet away from my router.  I even bought a Range Extender to humor myself, trying everything I could think of ( I did return the Range Extender)!

I've adding a Link to a YouTube Video showing how to Change the Hard Drive and Adding RAM in the Acer Aspire V5 572 (I think it's 17 Screws that need to be removed to accesss the inside of the Laptop).  This video is to show you how to access the inside of the Laptop only.  I know you don't need a New Hard Drive or More RAM and that the problem is the WiFi/Bluetooth Card. 

I'm also adding a Three Pictures below:

1.  The First picture is to show you where the WiFi/Bluetooth Card is located inside the laptop and where the Screw is that would need to be removed (Circled in Yellow).

2.  The Second will show you where the Two Wire Connections are located (White Wire and Black Wire with Red Arrows pointed towards them) (Just make sure to return the Wires Back in the Same Spots on the New Card). 

3.  The Third Photo is to show you Where you would Add more RAM if Interested and Where to add a mSATA SSD Drive if desired.  I have all of our Laptops Max'ed out on RAM at 12GB and have also added a 256GB mSATA SSD Drive to each for more Speed!  The SSD DRive contains my Operating System and Office Pacakge.  I left the Standard Hard Drive in the computer for Storage!  There is a Red Arrow Pointing to the RAM Slot and a Yellow Arrow Pointing to mSATA SSD Slot.

v5 572.jpg 

v5 572 wifi.jpg

RAM mSATA.jpg

• derekm
    Options

Installed driver via setup,  no luck still no wifi more than 10 feet away.

• JordanB
    Options

Can you take it to a friends or neighbors house or relatives house and see if it still has the same problem?   Where I live, we have free AT&T hotspots at McDonalds so I've even used that for testing.

• JordanB
    Options

@bugspop1

Thanks for posting that.  I'm just trying help him rule out some simple stuff first.  Smiley Happy

• bugspop1

Tinkerer

Options

Jordan,

Not trying to step on any toes.

I know exactly what you're trying to do, and it's the correct procedure.

Only reason I've even post this solution is because I know it will work!

I spent many, many hours going thru all the procedures you're going thru now.

Not sure why, it just doesn't work!

I installed older drivers, new drivers, drivers from Acer, drivers from Qualcomm, driver from Atheros, you name it, I've tried them!

I've taken my laptop to relatives houses, restaurants, etc... trying to check it.  Couldn't connect at all at McDonalds, Burger King, etc... couldn't get close enough to their router.

I purchased a Range Extender (for home) to try and help my signal be where i needed it at, didn't work!

This WiFi Card even works in my Old Acer Laptop running Windows 10, but won't work in the Acer V5.

It worked fine on the Acer V5 with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, before the install of Windows 10.

On Two of the Three Acer Aspire V5 573p-6896 Laptops we purchased I had to replace the WiFi/Bluetooth Card to get it to work again!

I never did open the last one to see if it had the same card inside, but i didn't replace that one and it still works on Windows 10.

Next time I see my sister I may open it to up see, it's got me wondering why hers didn't need relaced while ours did!

Maybe something different happened during the Windows 10 Upgrade?