Acer Aspire V5-571P-6429: Can't get into BIOS

Options
Ryan90x
Ryan90x Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello. I am having some trouble with a Acer Aspire laptop. I have change the bios from UEFI to legacy and now everytime I load up I get a Operation System Not Found message. I've tried pressing F2 but then I hear a beeping noise coming from my laptop and I still get the OS not found message. I also tried Alt+F10 but nothing happened. I'm not sure what I can do. Is there some way I can atleast get back into the BIOS and change it back?

Answers

• Ogrady2
    Ogrady2 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I too could not get into UEFI (BIOS) on my V5-531P after entering UEFI thru Windows 10 to change the boot order to try out Ubuntu booting it from a USB Flashdrive. My shock came when no matter of timing pushing F2 or F12 as I'd set up the BIOS to do would let me in, (even though the splash screen clearly showed the option to do so on the bottom of the screen.)

SOLUTION:

- From off, press and hold the power button in the on position for 2 minutes. Release the power button and press again to power on. -

My computer then proceeded to recognize it had a hard drive and Windows 10 opened! What a relief !!

Note: The power button LED will initially light and then turn off, the screen will be blank... keep holding down the button

Background:

- I read the BIOS needed updating, couldn't do that as I couldn't get into Windows to run the .exe file Acer releases come in.

- I read I needed to remove the HD. I did so, taking the laptop way apart to do so. Nothing, same "No Operating System"

- I read I needed to push F2 as soon as the computer came on, even before the splash screen.

- I even got a Windows 10 ISO and made a bootable USB Flashdrive. At least Windows on the Flashdrive could access the HD! Still no solution to boot to Windows on the HD.

The takeaway from all this is;

I spent a day and a half of misery trying everything I could think of to solve this. All other suggested solutions on the web I came across didn't help. Then I found the hold down the power button solution and out of desperation... tried it! So

1) Update your BIOS to the latest release.

2) Make a Windows 'Rescue Disc' on a USB stick and put it somewhere safe.

3) Then go change your boot order in UEFI (BIOS)

• Rockburner
    Rockburner Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I tried the above instructions and it appears to have completely killed my machine.

Specifically - I've tried to update the BIOS using the instructions found elsewhere on this site ie: download v2.18 of the bios onto a USB drive, then boot with Fn and ESC keys held down.  This was not successful and I still have a completely black screen. (after multiple attempts)

I then tried the 'hold the power key down for 120 seconds', and now it seems the HDD is fried.  All I get is a brief 'chirrup - click' fropm the HDD starting up and the machine dies and powers off.  This then repeats about every 5 seconds, indefinitely.

Tell it to me straight..... is it dead?