Acer Aspire V5-122P-0408. Will Windows 10 make it better?

Options
specterm
specterm Member Posts: 5 New User

I own an Acer Aspire V5-122P-0408.  I hate it!

In windows 8, it takes 20 seconds to open Google chrome.  And thats using add-block and ghostery extensions. 

I tried updating to windows 8.1 and also ran all updates that were available and still 20 seconds!

I didn't have the patience to wait for windows 10 and wiped the drive to install ubuntu and now chrome launches in just 7 seconds.    Guess what?  Im still not happy.  Thats still too slow. 

I do have the extended warranty on it and I can send it back however, I only paid 150bucks for it and would be satisfied letting it go on ebay or something for 100.  

So my question is..   Will windows 10 make it better?  Does anyone have windows 10 on this same laptop?  If it launches in like 3 seconds I would find that tollerable and might send it back for repair.

Answers

• silizium
    silizium Member Posts: 239 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

If I read the specs correct, your machine is a dual-core 1GHz machine. This is far to slow to operate any OS at a satisfying speed. And no, Windows 10 on it won't make it better.

• specterm
    Options

yeah.. I cant believe acer released this garbage.  Whats worse is I cant believe I bought it!

Im trying a new free OS called chaletOS  

• specterm
    Options

I installed the Windows 10 Enterprise evaluation from Microsoft.  chrome loads in like 8-9 seconds. better than windows 8 but not as good as Ubuntu.  guess this laptop is going on ebay for cheap.  Smiley Sad

• specterm
    Options

In case someone should stumble accross this thread.  Its not windows 8 that makes this laptop so bad.  Its a combination of the processor and all the bloatware that is included with the laptop bundle. 

So if you followed my original thread I had wiped the operating system.  I wiped the hard drive completely and installed linux.  I thought for sure that I was going to have to buy a new key if I wanted windows back on the laptop. I contacted acer support and they said that it was going to cost me 44 dollars to have a USB drive sent to my home so I could re-install the OS.  I called the extended warranty company and they said they wont do anything for voluntary software changes.  Then I had a random guy on facebook give me a link to this...   

How to Download Windows 10, 7, 8, and 8.1 Install Media — Legally  http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

I was able to download windows 8.1 directly from microsoft.  Make a USB bootable drive with software that microsoft gave me.  And to top it off, because the windows KEY is embeded in the motheboard I was able to install windows 8.  Completely updated to 8.1, then even upgrade to windows 10!  The best thing of all is that it wasn't boggled down with ANY BLOATWARE and it was FREE!!

Acer.. I am very dissapointed in your customer support.  And your products blow!