Acer Aspire V3 windows 10 upgrade: We couldn't update the system reserved partition

Options
DeedeeV3
DeedeeV3 Member Posts: 4 New User

I have an acer Aspire V3-371.

I have tried a number of times to upgrade the OS from WIn 8.1 to Win 10.

Each time i get this error message

We couldn't update the system reserved partition

So I used chat function with acer for help and advised to try the following:

Reset laptop back to factroy settings, full disk clean.

Upgrade failed.

Next i found advice to ensure all updates to current OS done, so

did all OS 8.1 updates and all Acer updates

Failed again.

Contactd acer chat support again and told to try update manually, via control panle, but the instructions she gave could not be followed as the options were greyed out

This lead to her giving me Microsoft number saying they can help you sort this out. Yes they could for £99 (i think, it was a poor line and her accent was a little strong)

Ive tried searching for answers but those i have found lead me to playing with the partition size, not a huge problem, if, IF i knew what they do and why ( 4 in all, 1 OS, 1 system restor (i guess) 2, no idea.

I would be surprised if mine were the only machine having this problem or that Acer hasn't a known solution. Can any one please offer any guidence on this, i have tired to source the answer but struggling, more so when the chat staff cant seem to help

I think my issue is to do with the size of the partition, but i could be a wrong as a hedgehog finding a scrubbing brush, can some one please help? Many thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Since your model has full windows 10 drivers support; i would do a clean windows 10 install.

Since you already did a factory OS install, it's worth a try to:

1) backup your personal data

2) create a recovery media using Acer erecovery software (this to revert back to windows 8.1 in the worst cases); need a 16GB USB flash drive

3) have an 8GB USB flash drive available, then download this tool from Microsoft to download windows 10 installation media:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

4) run the tool and follow instructions to download windows 10 and create an USB bootable media

5) once done, reboot your laptop with windows 10 USB flash drive and do a clean install choosing custom installation (instead of upgrade), erase the HDD and install windows 10

6) windows 10 will be authenticate at first web connection

7) if you need to update drivers or download Acer software for windows 10:

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/5488;-;Aspire%20V3-371

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • varlar
    varlar Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

On MBR disk, Windows 10 requires a 500MB system reserved partition, while 100MB in Windows 7, so you can try to extend system reserved partition.

In disk management, you can only extend partition using the unallocated space next to its right side. so even if you shrink D: drive, the option to extend the efi partition is still grayed out. My suggestion is to use a third party software, AOMEI Partition Assistant, both the standard (free) or the Professional(paid) version can extend partition as long as there is unallocated space on that hard drive. to see more information read:

Fix "We Couldn’t Update the System Reserved Partition" Error 

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

While our members are generally eager to provide useful information, be advised that Acer does not validate third party external links for downloads or content and is not responsible for them. Acquiring files through such links or using directions found there is at the user’s own risk.