Acer Aspire V3-771g automatically boots from HDD instead of SSD

orglce
orglce Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello,

So, I recently bought a new Samsung Evo 850 SSD drive. I have installed it along with my previous HDD drive on Acer Aspire V3 laptop. Then I migrated my entire OS (Windows 8) to my new SSD drive with the Samsung Data Migration Tool that came with the disk. So the HDD and SSD have the exactly the same OS installed on them. But when I try to boot up to SSD, the computer automatically boots to the old HDD, even though I set the boot priority in BIOS to SSD and set to AHCI mode. 
I also tried swaping them but it also wont work. 

If I disconnect the HDD, computer boots nice to SSD and everything works great, but the I connect it back and it goes back to HDD.

Thank you in advance.

Answers

• pachorradas
    pachorradas Member Posts: 11 New User

Hi,

I had the same exact problem with the same exact SSD.

My solution worked, but it isn’t the “nicest” or easiest or probably even the best solution…

I basically booted from a Linux live CD and deleted the HDD´s MBR (Master Boot Record) so when I booted the PC with the SSD it only had one place to boot from (the SSD). Once I was booted from the OS on the SSD I manually deleted all the Windows/System files that were left on the HDD to save space.

Warning: If you do this be VERY careful when deleting the MBR.. You can really mess up your PC if you delete the wrong one or both of them accidentally.

I´m sure someone will give a better and easier solution... but this is what I did because I didn’t feel like thinking and because I had the Linux Live distro just sitting around.

Hope it helps

• orglce

pachorradas wrote:

Hi,

I had the same exact problem with the same exact SSD.

My solution worked, but it isn’t the “nicest” or easiest or probably even the best solution…

I basically booted from a Linux live CD and deleted the HDD´s MBR (Master Boot Record) so when I booted the PC with the SSD it only had one place to boot from (the SSD). Once I was booted from the OS on the SSD I manually deleted all the Windows/System files that were left on the HDD to save space.

Warning: If you do this be VERY careful when deleting the MBR.. You can really mess up your PC if you delete the wrong one or both of them accidentally.

I´m sure someone will give a better and easier solution... but this is what I did because I didn’t feel like thinking and because I had the Linux Live distro just sitting around.

Hope it helps

Nice solution, but I will just wait a little more for someone to post a safer solution, but if I wont find or get anything I will try that one... Thanks
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you can try to use BCDedit.exe on windows 8.1 to edi the BCD entry but it's not the easiest thing to do.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542202(v=vs.85).aspx

http://www.boyans.net/

or

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • orglce

I have solved it. I was trying to delete MBR on HDD from an Arch Linux USB and somehow both disk werent bootable anymore.So I made an Ubuntu bootable USB and installed it on HDD. Then I was able to boot into it and wipe the SSD. I again made an bootable USB, this time with Windows and installed it on SSD. And when the Windows installed (immediately after I got into Windows on SSD) I wiped the HDD using diskpart and made a new partition. Because computer doesn't have any thing on HDD to boot into, it boots into SSD. 

Thank you for all the help!