Acer Aspire V3-574G - GPU perfcap after overclocking

Options
pandalion98
pandalion98 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

My lappy's GPU is this:

NVIDIA GeForce 940M - 4096 MB, Core: 1072-1176 MHz, Memory: 960 MHz

Using NVidia Inspector by Orbmu2k, I'm running the core at 1301MHz and memory at 1080MHz (which I totally shouldn't do). Those frequencies are quite stable on my machine but a few minutes of load on the GPU causes it to suddenly drop to P5 (405MHz core, 800MHz mem). GPU-Z says that the perfcap reason is "Util".

Based on what I read online, this could be a driver mechanism to prevent the unit from damaging itself/catching fire. Some also say that it kicks in because the driver thinks the fan is clogged and it can't handle the heat.

The thing is, the laptop already cooled down but it's still stuck at P5. The only remedy is to reboot which fixes everything. When I overclock again, the same thing happens. It doesn't happen when I'm on stock speed.

Here's what I found on the event viewer at the exact time I did the overclock. There's three of them, newest on top:

The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\UVMLiteController0x1
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x504a24=0x80000000 0x504a28=0x0 0x504a2c=0x0 0x504a34=0x0

The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x504a24=0x80000041 0x504a28=0x185110 0x504a2c=0x306dc3 0x504a34=0x0

NVRM: Graphics TEX Exception on (GPC 0, TPC 1): TEX NACK / Page Fault

Memory clock too high? Any suggestions?

Answers