Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Number Lock

radardr
radardr Member Posts: 6 New User

I know this has been asked before but the answers given have not worked.

1.  Edit the registery.

2.  Disable fast startup.

I have an Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black (VN7-791G) with Windows 8.1.  I want Num Lock on always.  When I boot the machine in the morning it is off.  When I wake the machine after a period of inactivity it is off.  I have edited the registry under the keyboard settings per other replys in these forums with no change.  I have disabled fast startup per replys in these forums again with no change.  I contacted Microsux because I think it is a windows issue but they said to contact Acer.  Acer chat is of no use they want you to pay them to modify the registry.  So here I and I believe others are stuck with a machine that does its own thing.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

the registry editing was with this values?

HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators value was "2147483648"

change value to 2147483650

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • b-c
    b-c Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm having the same issue.

Changing the registry values fixes the num-lock status at startup, but makes no difference when the computer goes to sleep.

As soon as it goes to sleep, num lock is turned off.

Microsoft support says "Check with your System/Mortherboard Maker's Support, their on-line documentation, and ask
    in their forums.
    Some makers will have settings in the BIOS, others will provide utilities to do it, and others may
    have methods in place which prevent doing it in Windows."

Is there any such utility/setting that can fix this issue?

It is my only complaint about this laptop.

• radardr
    radardr Member Posts: 6 New User

It doesn't seem to matter what value I put in the registery the num lock is still off.  I have tried several suggestions but no mater what I change it to it resets itself to 1.

• gmx3
    gmx3 Member Posts: 1 New User

I am having the same issue.  With the registry correction from the ...48 setting to ...50 it works on startup at least, but as soon as I put the computer to sleep, the registry setting is changed back to the ...48 number.  I don't care if it's a complex solution, I just want a solution.  All the other settings seem to be correct.  Has anyone found the solution yet?

• filurz
    filurz Member Posts: 2 New User

Scheduled task is the solution.

Download numlock program or any program that let you programatically lock the numpad

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/numlock/download.shtml

Create a scheduled task specifying in action tab numlock.exe with argument value "on"

In trigger tab, trigger this action on "unlocking session".

• zekris
    zekris Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same problem with lock num. After reading this post, i have checked all services/applications ACER launched at startup. Finally i have found QALauncher is responsable for this bug. I have disabled all application/service acer in relationship with this programme and now all work correctly !! 

When i lock the computer, the num lock stay on. :-D