Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-591G-719 Win8.1 touchpad, numlock and dpi issues

Options
nk4002r
nk4002r Member Posts: 1 New User

I've got a couple weeks old Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-591G-719.  I am a long time Windows user and an IT Professional with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and a valid computer operator licence.  I am extremely frustrated by Win8.1, so I've customized it to the old Win7 menu structure as much as possible.  I like the 4K display, but I am seriously considering returning this device.  I've got the following problems:

1) lack of touchpad settings: I get the intention of the Windows Precision uniform settings.  I don't understand, why can't Acer provide  in the control panel the options for expert users to set up the touchpad gestures to their own liking?  Other manufacturers expose the Synaptics control panel applet.  I need to reactive a single finger scrolling that I am used to.  I also need right click button, but no right click gesture for gaming.

2) numlock initial state is OFF.  No worries, I turn it ON.  It is driving me mad that this setting does not stick and the num lock state resets to off after every restart, suspend or hibernate resume!  It is aggrivated by the fact that there is no LED light indicator to alert to this fact that the num lock is off.

3) I want to access the DPI settings similar to Win7.  The laptop only offers a simple larger or medium text size setting.  There are a number of applications that disrespect this and render miniature icons.  Even Youtube controls are tiny.

The laptop hardware is powerful, but the software features are serious let down.  It is not an acceptable answer to see that in Windows 8 the scrolling works differently than previous versions - this I've seen posted in the knowledgebase.

Thank you:

Robin

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi nk4002r,

Thanks for the feedback. It's unfortunate that these issues have you considering a return of the device. I understand the limitations of the first two, and it's good feedback, but I don't have a work around or fixall for you. For point #3, I'm not sure I understand what's missing. Windows 8.1 actually adds a 200% scaleing option but I haven't found anything else missing in Windows 8 options from Windows 7's. The way Youtube and other websites handle it is still an issue of the website and the way it's designed. HTML5 is one of those steps to helping users sort of customize their web experience.

Cory