Acer Aspire Nitro VN7-791G : from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1

ZooL
ZooL Member Posts: 10 New User

Hello,

I installed Windows 7 on my VN7-791G. I changed the boot type into the bios using "Legacy" instead of "UEFI".

All my partitions changed (before : 4 partitions on the first hard disk [GPT], now : only one partition [MBR]). No "Windows Boot loader" partition anymore.

Before doing this action (installing Windows 7), I saved all my system (factory settings) on a USB device (32 Go), as recommanded by ACER (using their tool installed with Windows 8.1).

But now, I don't manage to come back to Windows 8.1 using my USB device (I can boot with this device) : the choice "Re-init PC" doesn't work !

Could you help me please ? Maybe advanced commands to use about the partitions or boot loader ?

Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

you need to wipe completly your HDD, this means deleting all the partition and the MBR or converting MBR to GPT.

you can do it using partition wizard bootable iso:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

create a bootable media with the downloaded iso, boot from that and completly wipe the HDD, then reboot and try to use your recovery media.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ZooL

Thank you.

Do you have any idea about the problem I meet when I use Windows 7 with my notebook ?

It seems a problem for loading nvidia drivers (when the desktop is displayed for the first time) only if the notebook uses the battery...

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Can be some power profile or some hardware wake up process not following the correct steps to initiate.

Take note that some issues are possible under Legacy and not UEFI, a in-famouse one is touchpad having bad behaviour or intel VGA driver with video corruption.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ZooL

In fact, every boot with Windows 7, I can see an error in the event viewer ("unrecoverable hardware error") about the processor (from source "whea-logger").

I dont see this error using windows 8.1.

Why Windows 7 can't be install on my laptop :-( ? Some people managed to install it...

• John791
    John791 Member Posts: 11 New User
    I exactly got the same problems with the nvidia graphics card.
    When i Start with battery the driver gets lost. With Power Supply all is good.

I went back to Win8.1 and now theres no more Problem with graphics. I need Win7 at school so i everytime have to Start with power supply. After school i'll go to win8 and then to 10 ....

I also tried to installiert win7 in uefi mode but no Chance ..