ASPIRE V5-122P-0864 RUNNING WINDOWS 10 WITH "thread stuck in device driver" ERROR

Options
LARRYZ
LARRYZ Member Posts: 1 New User

ASPIRE V5-122P-0864 RUNNING WINDOWS 10 WITH "thread stuck in device driver" ERROR I NEED HELP

Answers

• JulieM
    JulieM Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Similar issue !! I have the Aspire V5-122P-0649 and upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10.  I keep getting that same blue screen of death error "thread stuck in device driver" error.  I need a free fix.  Thank you !

• Crownjules3
    Crownjules3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Me too, just after the Win10 anniversary update. I searched for solutions online but eventually took it to my local computer shop. They said that Win10 puts updates in new undamaged areas of a hard drive, of which I appear to have none left...my hard drive now needs replacing. I guess I may have banged the laptop around a bit, but without win10 or its updates, there would have still been unused/undamaged areas for my day-to-day use.  Good luck...

• cricket816
    cricket816 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have an Aspire V5 and recently started getting "thread stuck in device driver"error.  I reinstalled Windows 10 and it is happening again.  Issues seem to be cursor and pad.

Is it a Windows upgrade issue, hardware, driver, or ....?

• blackorganist
    blackorganist Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have the same issue in my Aspire V5-122P. After an update by Windows 10 (Oct 26) some drivers were replaced (could not find out which ones and I could not find drivers that would work since then). I reinstalled Windows 10 from USB, which worked fine until one hour later the same (faulty) update is downloaded by Windows 10. The only option for me right now is to stop any Windows updates after a fresh new install

Would be very helpful, if one of you can find out the exact AMD driver which causes the issue. Below ones have NOT helped me:

All those tools scan for outdated drivers and found between 5 and 10 to replace, but none of the replaced drivers fixed the mouse-freezing and evetually blue-screen issue

Is Acer looking into this?

• JulieM
    Options

I'm fixed!!  My V5-122P is running Windows 10 without freezing and without the "thread stuck..." error.

There was a post on here (which now seems to be gone - I get page not found) that suggested uploading AMD driver version 15.200.1060.0 and then quickly changing Settings so that new drivers are not automatically uploaded and overwrite this driver.

I managed to upload AMD version 15.300.1025.1001 dated 11/29/2015 and changed the Settings so new drivers will not automatically overwrite it.  So far so good

• slmccarthy
    slmccarthy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have the same problem. In fact it happened again while I was writing this. After trying to update the drivers myself from AMD and Acer I met with complete failure. I finally had to take it to the tech guys at the local Staples where I originally bought the computer. They had it for eight days and we're able to get new drivers that worked for a while but left the processor moving at a snail's pace. Now after $180.00 and a week the problem is back. AMD is unresponsive to the problem and Acer doesn't seem to care. Therefore my V5 is headed to the local electronics recycling bin. Needless to say I won't be buying another Acer or anything with an AMD processor.

• JulieM
    Options

I did have struggles blocking the driver updates.  The instructions at howtogeek.com didn't work for me.

What finally worked was the instructions at this website:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Scroll down on that web page to these instructions -- this has blocked the bad drivers for a week now ...

To temporarily prevent the driver from being reinstalled until a new driver fix is available, a troubleshooter is available that provides a user interface to hide and show Windows updates and drivers for Windows 10.

The following troubleshooter is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

DownloadDownload the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package now.

Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.

When you click the download link, you're prompted to open or save wushowhide.diagcab.

To run the troubleshooter, open wushowhide.diagcab, select Next, and then follow the instructions in the troubleshooter to hide the problematic driver or update.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• ronb62
    ronb62 Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

Identical problem. Since windows anniversary update the CPU runs at 40% minimum usually 95%+.  Have also seen the thread message.  Disabling the graphics driver stops the message and the CPU usage becomes "Real"  . However anything involving graphics requirements is useless e.g. Video, games etc. Any version of the Catalyst software will not work , even those that did previously. Whose fault is it ? MS for a bad update or AMD for poorly written driver or Acer for not supporting this- even though it all automatically updated itself to this useless state.  This is my granddaughters machine that she needs for her highschool work.  This is extremely poor , have tried MS and AMD and Acer. No one really is sorting this out despite a multitude of people with this and very similar issues. 

• ronb62
    ronb62 Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

The fixes listed hear and about 20 others I've tried are not fixes but fudges and do not work. Thanks to all for their efforts but this needs a top down fix from Acer on the driver or MS on a reversal of the **bleep** up they made with the anniversary update. 

• JulieM
    Options

Just to clarify, I'm no longer having the extreme CPU usage, no longer having the constant freezing when playing Solitaire and other routine use, and no longer have the blue screen of death due to "thread stuck in device driver".  I consider this problem "fixed" for now.

The fix was (1) roll back to Windows 10 WITHOUT the Anniversary Update, (2) change the driver to AMD dated 11/29/15, (3) block future driver updates by using the methodology from Microsoft that I described previously in this thread.

Although I'm fixed for now, I agree that either Microsoft, AMD or Acer needs to develop a proper fix so that we could use the Anniversary Update and drivers newer than 2015.  I'm very disappointed that experts from Acer did not jump in here with their recommended process.  Leaving it to the Commnunity of non-experts to figure out doesn't seem like the best way to run a business.