AMD update of Acer Aspire V5-122 with Windows 10

KDrube
KDrube Member Posts: 3 New User

my pc was born W8.1 and was updated to W10 a few months ago.

2 weeks ago I was prompted to accept a new update of my AMD A6 processor. Apparently I was not succesful and Windows never loaded. I tried many things until I happened to reinstall a previous fixpoint (?). Not the first but the fourth back in time. Apparently the drive with Windows was locked, and I had no idea how I would get further than the frozen Acer logo. However, this time Windows came on.

Then yesterday I was informed of two waiting AMD Radeon Crimson updates 16.3.1, and I accepted. However, I am now locked again, and this time I don't have the fixpoint from February any longer, and I am stuck. Aren't AMD or Acer responsible for such damage and how will I fix it? My pc does not have a cd drive and no boot stick. 

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Maybe a Windows 10 update or "Mandatory" Windows 10 driver update. I have my Windows Update set to Windows can't download or install updates until I check them and allow it and I don't have Windows 10. I tried it and didn't think it has any benefits over 8.1 and rolled it back.

Answers

• philetus

Hold Alt+F-10 at boot and see if Recovery will start.

Never install driver updates from Windows Update.

• KDrube

Sorry but the advice to press CTRL-F10 is what I use to get on to the possibilities of reinstalling a previous fixpoint.

However, in the meantime I have dared reinstalling a fixpoint from early April, and luckily Windows booted again.

The error with a frozen Acer logo on the screen and a status stating that the "drive on which Windows is installed, is locked" is really what puzzles me, because how does the drive lock itself. Maybe a W10 feature?

• philetus

The advice was to press ALT +F10. I didn't know about CTRL + F10. I'll have to try it.

• KDrube

Sorry, alt-F10 was what I meant and what I used. My typo would not lead you anywhere. But have you any experience with the W10 drive getting locked? Recently I was presented to the three-level security philosophy of Windows 10, and I wouldn't be surprised if my problem could have been initiated by that as a safety measure?

• philetus
    Answer ✓

Maybe a Windows 10 update or "Mandatory" Windows 10 driver update. I have my Windows Update set to Windows can't download or install updates until I check them and allow it and I don't have Windows 10. I tried it and didn't think it has any benefits over 8.1 and rolled it back.