ACER V15 NITRO VN7-591G-56DE GPU issues

paul1501
paul1501 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

Just over a year ago I bought a new ACER V15 NITRO VN7-591G-56DE, hoping I could use it for studies and some gaming. This generally went fine, with understandable limitations when it comes to newer games.

Recently however, there have been some issues, especially when it comes to the GPU (GTX 860M). When playing games using the Nvidia card, after a while (5-10 minutes or so, it differs) the sound starts to freeze and then the entire laptop follows. After that the only solution seems to be to restart it.

One of the games where this issue has been frequent is Hearthstone, which shouldn't exactly be difficult to run with the specs on this laptop.

On top of that, when I switch to the Intel HD Graphics, at similar (I think) frequency windows will tell me that the display drivers have stopped working, but have been recovered (this is a translation from dutch, I'm not sure what the message would be in english).

When this happens, the screen will freeze up for a split second, but then recover and give the message I mentioned.

What could be the issue here? I've tried opening up the laptop carefully and getting rid of some dust, but after that the issue remains. On top of that, I don't want to break anything, so I'd rather not open it up too often.

Another thing that didn't seem to help was removing the intel and nvidia drivers and reinstalling them.

Specs:

ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210H CPU @ 2.90GHz
Video Card 1NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
Video Card 2Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Memory8.0 GB
Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 64-bit

Thanks for any help. I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to computers, so if there's any missing information, please let me know.

P.s., from what I've seen the temperatures of both the CPU and GPU get close to their maximum. Does that simply mean there's too much dust in the laptop?

Answers

• pjenoy
    pjenoy Member Posts: 42 New User

You could try reinstalling the drivers for the said graphic cards, and also in terms of heating, its just normal, what matters most is that you don't have any thermal throttling.

• Bozzy
    Bozzy Member Posts: 44

Tinkerer

What Nvidia drivers are you using?

There are know issues from Nvidia on the 860M, and I was suffering from the display driver recovering. There is a hotfix driver for the 860M that others find works for the 9XX series to.

Have a look here;

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3812/~/geforce-hot-fix-driver-359.12

• paul1501
    paul1501 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not sure what drivers I was on, so I can't test if that would work. Currently I'm on 361.43 (latest).

For me reinstalling Windows seems to have fixed the issue, but I'd have to do more testing to make sure.