ACER Aspire V5-471 keyboard inop with recent Windows 10 download

Options
Airstream
Airstream Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Net rumor is early Dec 2015 Windows 10 update caused some ACER laptop keyboard failures.  Mine failed after system restart following update.  Internal keyboard check shows keyboard good.  F11, number lock, is not the problem.  One column does function, 3edc.  ACER offers no keyboard drivers for any OS for this computer.  When I look at driver details from my control panel, it says "Driver Provider:  Microsoft, Driver Date 6/21/2006, Driver Version: 10.0.10586.0, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows."  The Driver File Details shows "Provider: ELAN Microelectronics Corp, File version: 11.159.15.5.  However, I did contact ELAN, and they say they just do the touchpad and not the keyboard.  I have done Windows + X and redownloaded keyboard drivers. I’ve also uninstalled and reinstalled keyboard drivers. Anyone know where to get ACER’s specific driver?

Best Answer

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓
    Options

It sounds like the keyboard has a hardware problem at some level. I am sending you a private message to get some information so we can help you get your system repaired.

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Options

If keys are not functioning, the problem is not going to be with the driver, but most likely with a hardware problem in the keyboard. You can test the keyboard functionality by seeing if the keys that do not work in windows work in the BIOS. You can get to the BIOS by pressing F2 on startup.

• Airstream
    Airstream Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you.  I did try the F2, but the computer did not register the inpu and went ahead and booted up.  I never got access to the BIOS.  Regards.

• Blayn-Acer
    Answer ✓
    Options

It sounds like the keyboard has a hardware problem at some level. I am sending you a private message to get some information so we can help you get your system repaired.

• Alyson75
    Alyson75 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Was there a solution to this? This is the exact issue I've had since the update, same model, keyboard not working, but 3,e,d & C do.  This computer had become a backup, so ive just been using the touchscreen keyboard when needed - but now really need to figure this out so my husband can use it.
This discussion has been closed.