592G - won't sleep, display brightness won't change

trevor_g
trevor_g Member Posts: 3 New User

Hey everyone -

New V Nitro 592G. I like the laptop, but having some really annoying issues:

• Issue 1: oftentimes (I'd say, more than 50% of the time) the laptop refuses to sleep when I close the lid (even though it's programmed to hibernate on every power profile). It just keeps running and refuses to shut down -- downright dangerous, as a few times, I packed it away in a zippered pouch as I had no idea it was still running! The problem is intermittent. Note that this is an absolutely clean install (of everything)... one of my first solutions was to wipe the machine out and start over. Same behaviour.
  • Issue 2: This is also intermittent, but the Fn+Arrow Left and Right keys only work to change brightness *sometimes*. After a fresh reboot, they work, but after while they stop working. I'll try to change brightness, but nothing will change, and the brightness level doesn't flash on the screen as per usual either. 

Only thing I can think of: I often have the laptop hooked up to an external monitor via HDMI. I have no idea if that's somehow getting in the way of the lid / brightness toggles after I unplug the laptop from the monitor... but those above issues persist long after I unplug / am out and about with just the laptop. 

Help? Anyone? 

-Trevor

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

If you are not at this Bios version, you should update.

BIOSAcerUpdates Intel microcode, DVMT pre-allocated VRAM to 64MB and improv [...]1.075.8 MB2016/01/20Download
  • trevor_g
    Hey Philetus -

Thanks for the response / suggestion. Actually, that was one of the first ideas I had too, so I flashed the 1.07 bios awhile ago. Unfortunately, the issues persist.

But because the problem could potentially be with some low-level stuff, it did make me wonder if I shouldn't try re-flashing it, or even downgrading. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to do either. It seems Insyde's flashing tool is pretty limited.

Any other ideas?
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

I found this.  

"Many people having problems with the brightness control (doesnt work) when you resume your notebook from sleep/hibernate. I noticed that the problem only occurs if you set the action (sleep/hibernate) for when you closing the lid. But if you set the sleep/hibernate action for the powerbutton, the brightness works fine on resume."

Personally, I won't use Hibernate. I disable it because it has been known to cause some serious problems.

• trevor_g

Hey -- thank you so much for the response!

That's interesting... OK. I do have the PC set to hibernate, always (less battery-sucking than simply sleep). I might try playing with that.

Thanks again. Pretty basic functionality for a laptop however -- let's hope this is fixed in the next BIOS update!