v3-331 how to take cpu out

Options
chriswangdallas
chriswangdallas Member Posts: 2 New User

I need to replace my v3-331 i5 4200u and I do not know how to take it out of mptherboard socket.

Best Answer

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options

The V3-331, as far as I can determine, does not employ a socket mounted CPU. The CPU is a BGA (Ball Grid Array) device which is surface mounted. Intel use the term 'socket' (in the case of the i5-4200U, the 'socket' is fcbga1168) but in reality it is not a socket at all and likely simply indicates a connection map.

While it is not impossible to replace these at home (it would require a rework station, hot air or oven etc) it is generally considered not to be a user exchangeable part. Below is a link to a Russian YouTube video which details the procedure (for a BGA graphics chip):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4WZx2y6rY

While it is possible to do this at home without the 'proper' equipment, it does require considerable precision and preparation. Ideally, you would want to obtain a stencil for applying the solder paste. The likelihood of shorts, non connections or simply destroying the motherboard due to incorrect heat profiling is not inconsiderable!

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,083 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

Could you give me the first ten characters of the laptop serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options

The V3-331, as far as I can determine, does not employ a socket mounted CPU. The CPU is a BGA (Ball Grid Array) device which is surface mounted. Intel use the term 'socket' (in the case of the i5-4200U, the 'socket' is fcbga1168) but in reality it is not a socket at all and likely simply indicates a connection map.

While it is not impossible to replace these at home (it would require a rework station, hot air or oven etc) it is generally considered not to be a user exchangeable part. Below is a link to a Russian YouTube video which details the procedure (for a BGA graphics chip):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4WZx2y6rY

While it is possible to do this at home without the 'proper' equipment, it does require considerable precision and preparation. Ideally, you would want to obtain a stencil for applying the solder paste. The likelihood of shorts, non connections or simply destroying the motherboard due to incorrect heat profiling is not inconsiderable!

• chriswangdallas
    chriswangdallas Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for your info.  I realized that the CPU was solded in the motherboard after I made my first post and it is difficult for me to upgrade CPU by my own hand.