light weight fast laptop needed for Uni

oshb5ems
oshb5ems Member Posts: 10 New User

Hello

Im looking for a light weight laptop which is fast enought to keep up with a Uni student for her studies, Lectures and seminars. Something sort of equel to a macnook air would be nice as im afriad neither our nor my daughters funds will run to such a item hence asking on here. But it helps that I am a acer fan through and through 

So any suggestions then please let me know. Also I have asked in the cromebook section but im not sure if they would beable to do what was asked of them?

At the moment I have a V5 -571 but have had issues with it since day one, such as taking nearly a dat to return to factory setting or 7 hors to do a roll back when I only have just over 80gig of data, Then a screen issue now the fan seams to stay on all the time and it gets hot plus the DVD stopped working. Now I know thats a lot of issues and Acer has sorted out the DVD but could not find any screen issues the first time But has since had it back for re-repair (Thats where it is at the moment) They have found the screen issues this time and are sorting them out and under warrenty. As for the roll back or factory reset and the running hot and constant fan running nothing has been said Also I must add that it is suppoidly supposed to be a I5 chip so faster than a I3 but I cannot see that. But it works and its got grea battery life so untill it stops working I will be ok. 

I have had many Acers Im writing this on a old AA1 plus have a Acer One netbook in the drawer as a second backup But that runs Linux. But is still a great little unit and fast under the cut down version it has on. I have also had a couple of full size acers over the last 7 years, But still also own and use from time to time a Acer N10 pocket PC running on a Arm chip. and finally I have a 7" Acer Ionica tablet which is also a great bit of kit but on the hevey side as far as battery useage goes, So all in all I have had Acers for around the last 12 years constantly and the V5-571 is the first I have had any problems with, But it has not put me off as we all know you can drop on one bad apple at sometime and my V5 fits the bill im afraid. I should have asked for a replacement early on but I didnt y fault And now the warrenty is at a end I need to try and get something in place to keep its cover up   What does anyone suggest? Will one of Acers extended warrenty packets be availablr do you think?

Thanks a lot for listening to me whine on and on All the very best 

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

oshb5ems,

I am glad to hear that you want to stick with us and proud to have you as one of our customers. On another note, I am sorry you have had a bad experience with your most recent product. As for what you are looking for I can't answer that directly as I don't know your full needs, but I can suggest some superb products that are similar to a mac air or other Ultrabooks.

My personal favorite is the S7-391 or S7 series as it is slim, light and sleek looking. It also has the power to perform as well. Most of our Ultra-thin products should be able to perform both in performance and battery life; such as the M5 series, V5 (which you have), V7 and S3 models.