V5-573P-6486 Starts In BIOS Menu

Options
BigFoot48
BigFoot48 Member Posts: 4 New User

I bought this Acer a week ago. I leave it on all the time and have it set to go to sleep after 30 minutes, which it does, but in the morning, about 6 hours after last using it and putting it to Sleep using Fn-F4, it is Off for reasons I can't determine. When I press the power button it immediately opens in the BIOS menu.  The BIOS settings are all the same as orginally set or confirmed when I first set it up.  I press the Save key and it proceeds to boot quickly into Win 8.1.

I can't find any settings in the BIOS or in Win8 to stop this menu from showing up. And I can't find any setting to stop it from shutting off when it should be just in Sleep mode.  BIOS version is 2.22.  Hybernation is Off.  It is plugged in to AC and the power light is always on.

This is my first Acer and first Win8 install so what am I missing here?  Why is it going from Sleep to Off, and why is the BIOS menu appearing upon start?

Best Answer

• BigFoot48
    Answer ✓
    Options

I may have solve this "self-shutdown - boot to BIOS" problem by installing new 8.1 drivers and/or shutting off "fast startup", as I did both yesterday and the problem didn't occur last night while the computer was in sleep mode.  Time will tell.

I did this after being unable to get the Bluetooth to work (testing for the first time) yesterday. I found the Win8.1 driver for it, and other devices, and loaded them.  That fixed BT and it's working well.  I had also looked at the Win Error Log and had seen an apparent BT device error in the middle of the night that may have triggered the shutdown and reboot into BIOS.  I don't know if this was the cause of my problem but a likely suspect.

So hopefully the problem is fixed, and if I don't report back all can assume it was.

I will add it's disappointing that on an Acer company forum that no one from Acer responded to my thread post.  I would assume a company would have a team of people assigned to helping people on their own forum.  Even Ford has a person on our C-Max forums.

Answers

• BigFoot48
    Answer ✓
    Options

I may have solve this "self-shutdown - boot to BIOS" problem by installing new 8.1 drivers and/or shutting off "fast startup", as I did both yesterday and the problem didn't occur last night while the computer was in sleep mode.  Time will tell.

I did this after being unable to get the Bluetooth to work (testing for the first time) yesterday. I found the Win8.1 driver for it, and other devices, and loaded them.  That fixed BT and it's working well.  I had also looked at the Win Error Log and had seen an apparent BT device error in the middle of the night that may have triggered the shutdown and reboot into BIOS.  I don't know if this was the cause of my problem but a likely suspect.

So hopefully the problem is fixed, and if I don't report back all can assume it was.

I will add it's disappointing that on an Acer company forum that no one from Acer responded to my thread post.  I would assume a company would have a team of people assigned to helping people on their own forum.  Even Ford has a person on our C-Max forums.

This discussion has been closed.