This connection is limited message

davidrippon
davidrippon Member Posts: 4 New User

I have a recently purchaed aspire s7 392 running windows 8.1. Whenever I connetc to the internet (wirelessly) it takes a long time nd I get a message saying: 'This connection is limited'. Does anybody know why it takes a long time to connect or what the message means?

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

As you are getting the message "This connection is limited", one probability can be that your device was successfully able to connect to your router but wasn't assigned a valid IP address. Thus, you are not able to access internet. Another probability can be that your device was assigned a valid IP address but did not have internet connectivity.
    For more information in this regard, you can also refer to "My connection is listed as Limited" section on the following Microsoft support page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cant-connect-internet#1TC=windows-8

I recommend you to first restart your router. To do this, you can follow the steps below:
    1. Turn Off the router
    Important: If your router does not have a power switch, you can switch it off by disconnecting the power cord to the router.
    2. Make sure that all the network cables are properly connected
    3. Turn On the router
    Now, hold on for around 20 seconds and then restart your laptop. See if you can connect to the internet now.

If the above steps do not work, you can try resetting your TCP/ IP settings. To do this, you can follow the steps below:
    1. Boot to the desktop view
    2. Open command prompt, right click in the left corner when the Start window appear and select command prompt (admin).
    3. In the command prompt window, type the following command and press "Enter": netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    Important: If you do not wish to specify a directory path for the log file, you can also enter the following command: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt.
    4. Reboot your system and see if you are able to connect to internet now.

If the above steps do not work, you can try out the following instructions and see if they work:
    1. Right click on your WIFI connection and go to "View Connection Properties".
    2. Go to "Security" tab.
    3. Click on "Advanced settings" which opens "802.11 settings".
    4. Check "Enable Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) compliance for this network".
    5. Click "OK".
    6. Try connecting your laptop again to the internet.

If the issue still persists, you can refer to the following Microsoft support page for some more troubleshooting options:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-81&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

• davidrippon
    davidrippon Member Posts: 4 New User

Thanks for the response but it turned out to be a network adapter driver problem. I upgraded the driver for the Wireless-N 7260 adapter on my aspire, the latest version available is 17.1.0.19. This made the problem worse. However, Acer have a driver on their web site v16.1.5.2. I installed this version  and now everything works fine. I remain puzzled as to why the latest version is not usable but I guess it's just a bug.

This discussion has been closed.