Slow wifi on Acer V5-552

Options
Erickk678
Erickk678 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi all,

I've bought a Acer V5-552 ultra thin notebook a couple weeks ago. A very nice laptop but the WIFI is terrible slow. 

I've installed Windows 8.1 due the bloatware and UEFI that is not compatible with truecrypt. So, when i'm connected with LAN the speed is 20.2 mbit down. But when i connect with WIFI the speed is 1mbit. Also when my laptop is near the router. 

Other notebooks on the same wifi gets a minimum of 20 mbits. 

Things i've already tried:

• Uninstall and reinstall the wireless network card
  • Install the newest drivers from the acer website
  • Reinstall my notebook
  • Change the channel on the router
  • Windows updates

Can someone help me with this? Thanks in advance.

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

As you have mentioned that the devices other than your laptop are getting good internet speed on the Wi-Fi connection of your router, we recommend you to check your laptop for possibility of software issues.

Follow the solutions below one-by-one to see if they work.
    1) Disable antivirus or any other application that may be interfering with the network. You can do this in the following manner:
    a) Turn off your antivirus program or any other program that may be interfering with the connection.
    b) If you turn off your antivirus because it is causing problems, please make sure that your computer is protected in another manner.
    2) Try using some other Wi-Fi network
    Even if other devices get a good internet speed on your Wi-Fi network, there can still be some compatibility issues in your laptop.
    a) Try the wireless connection at a free local wireless access point or hotspot such as a coffee shop, hotel or other business. A friend or family's connection could also be used.
    b) If your laptop gets a good internet speed on other access points, your computer wireless hardware is working fine. In this case, we recommend you to check router settings or contact your internet service provider.
    3) Check for the possibility of infections like viruses, malware, and, spyware. If infections are detected, then update your antivirus software and scan the system thoroughly to remove the infections. You can opt for suitable technical assistance if the infection removal is beyond your capacity.

If the above steps do not work, you can contact Acer support at:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

GuruAid.com

• Erickk678
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

I've already walked to the steps you said. No virusses / malware on my laptop. Other network tried, no without positve result etc etc.

Got the same issue with a brand new installation of Windows.

I tried to contact the acer support but the website said my acer SNID / SN is wrong. Tried both numbers.

Hope to hear soon from acer!

• wilson088
    wilson088 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hi i had the same problem or similar problem, over wi fi and ethernet both no internet,

The problem i found was when updating AMD drivers a program called AMD Quick stream installs with it, this may also come pre installed on the laptop, try removing AMD QUICKSTREAM completely from the system restart and try pc speeds again from
    www.speedtest.net 

let me know if it helps thanks

• Erickk678
    Options

Many many many thanks mate! That solved my problem. I've removed AMD Quick stream and my speed is now 34mbps wirelessSmiley Happy. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.