Sleep Mode and Hibernation are not working

abhisekpadhi
abhisekpadhi Member Posts: 12 New User

I received my laptop from my college. It was an Aspire v7 481p with windows 8 pre-installed. I wanted to install linux and the system didn't allowed because of "Secure Boot" feature in UEFI Bios. So i switched to "Legacy" mode. Now the system didn't booted. I had a Windows 8.1 so i used it to boot my system using an Bootable usb keeping the bios in "legacy" mode. 

Installed windows 8.1 successfully. Used the key that I had extracted from windows 8 using 'produkey' software after installing windows 8.1 . And windows 8.1 was activated. The system has 500GB HDD + 23 GB SSD. Now, it almost works fine and the bios is in "Legacy Mode". I still havent installed linux. Right now Backed up all my data to an external HDD.

PROBLEM is: 

I have installed some drivers which i downloaded from acer for windows 8.1. The problem is that the system does not behave properly in sleep mode and in hibernation mode. In both the cases the display goes off leaving the system turned on. 

Below are the screenshots of list of softwares installed before and after :

Before (With UEFI Bios, windows 8)

Installed Softwares before.png

After, now (present condition)

installed softwares now.png

The system is still in "Legacy" Mode.

Apparently I've not installed some drivers since I thought they might not be important, but I'll be installing all drivers and system softwares in the screenshot of before.

Help me, let me know where I'm wrong. I also want to install linux and UEFI with secure boot doesnot allow. 

Also let me know does changing to "legacy" mode has any disadvantages. Speed of the system hasnt been affected much after changing to Legacy mode in bios.

Expecting quicker response.

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Hi...Smiley Happy

To resolve the Sleep Mode and Hibernation issue, you need to check is you have the correct display drivers in device manager.
    Open device manager and expand display adapter, check if your computer has intel or Nvidia, then download and install the drivers for windows 8.1.

You can change the Secure Boot setting and it should recognize the bootable device to install Linux.

Secure Boot is a feature designed to prevent malicious software and unauthorized media from loading during the boot process. This option is enabled by default, but can be turned off in UEFI / BIOS.

You may check if you have performed the below mentioned steps to change the Secure Boot setting.

Completely shut down the computer, Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS.
    Use the right arrow key to select Security. Use the down arrow key to highlight Set Supervisor Password and press Enter.
    Create a password and press Enter. Retype the password to confirm and press Enter again.
    Use the right arrow key to select Boot. Press the down arrow key to select Secure Boot and press Enter.
    With the arrow key, highlight Disabled and press Enter. Press the F10 key and select Yes to save the changes and exit the BIOS.

We suggest removing the supervisor password immediately after enabling Secure Boot. If you choose not to remove your supervisor password, make sure you write it down for future use.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Answer ✓

Hi...Smiley Happy

To resolve the Sleep Mode and Hibernation issue, you need to check is you have the correct display drivers in device manager.
    Open device manager and expand display adapter, check if your computer has intel or Nvidia, then download and install the drivers for windows 8.1.

You can change the Secure Boot setting and it should recognize the bootable device to install Linux.

Secure Boot is a feature designed to prevent malicious software and unauthorized media from loading during the boot process. This option is enabled by default, but can be turned off in UEFI / BIOS.

You may check if you have performed the below mentioned steps to change the Secure Boot setting.

Completely shut down the computer, Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS.
    Use the right arrow key to select Security. Use the down arrow key to highlight Set Supervisor Password and press Enter.
    Create a password and press Enter. Retype the password to confirm and press Enter again.
    Use the right arrow key to select Boot. Press the down arrow key to select Secure Boot and press Enter.
    With the arrow key, highlight Disabled and press Enter. Press the F10 key and select Yes to save the changes and exit the BIOS.

We suggest removing the supervisor password immediately after enabling Secure Boot. If you choose not to remove your supervisor password, make sure you write it down for future use.
  • abhisekpadhi

Hi saranji,

That solution was life saving for me. And thanks for the knowledge you gave. Now one last thing please - As you can clearly see that I've changed the bios mode from "UEFI" to "Legacy" and now a lot of problems are popping up like hibernation and sleep mode problems. So, i think it would be wise to reset the laptop to factory settings with the windows 8 OS, then upgrade to windows 8.1. In that process I'll only need updated drivers (for windows 8.1) from acer site, which I've already download.

Since our college gave us the laptop (KIIT University, Odisha), they do provide free service to us. I could have taken my laptop to them for a factory reset, but unfortunately, they are on summer vacation. 

So, guide me what to do ?

1. Install windows 8 in UEFI mode, download all drivers from acer site for windows 8 64bit and install them manually. OR,
    2. Install windows 8.1 in UEFI mode, install all drivers manually, Or,
    3. Take my laptop to a service center for a factory reset of OS Or,
    4. If you can provide any link to download Factory reset disk or DVD, So that i can have the factory reset done of my laptop

In any of the case Windows product key wont be a problem, since I've extracted and written that down and backed up my license. 

Please guide me with the best choice for me or suggest what will be best.

Best.

Abhisek Padhi.

• Sharanji

hi...

Since your computer was preinstalled with windows 8, you need to install windows 8 and then you will have the option to upgrader to windows 8.1 for free from Microsoft store. You may follow the steps in this weblink : Windows 8.1 update
    Your computer is shipped with OEM version and it will not prompt for product key when restoring windows and upgrading to windows 8.1
    The product key is embedded in BIOS and the product key is automatically applied and activated.

The recovery media is not avaliable in downloadable format. Your computer had a recovery partition that can be used to create or execute recovery, since you had not created the recovery media earlier, the only option is to purchase it,  It will install the Operating System, all the pre-installed Software and the drivers of your system. 

If you have a unit from US or Canada, you may purchase the recovery disc from Acer store :Acer Store
    If you have purchased the computer in any other country, you may contact Acer support here : Acer Global Support

• abhisekpadhi

Since i had wiped my HDD completely during fresh windows 8.1 installation. So i had to take it back to my college to get it factory resetted. But now i've learnt how to install linux in UEFI bios and I'am happy.

I'd also like to propose that acer should also have tutorial on how to install linux on this laptop with UEFI bios, because many newcomers to linux with this latop will surely stumble and take drastic steps to get get works done but nnot in right way.

I will be writing an article on that shortly at my blog : http://technikaly.com

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.