S3 Screen problem.. what's next?

Talal
Talal Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi there,

I am writing here to complain about Acer product which caused me a huge disappointment, frustration, and anger.
The product is Aspire S3 (Model No. MS2346) which I bought in February 2014 while having a business trip in Sofia, Bulgaria. The laptop is wonderful by all means, and I was really in love with it to the degree that I was going to buy it to my sales reps.
However, what happened next left me wordless. 2 weeks ago while I was "calmly" working on some business reports, the screen went white! I restarted the machine -thinking that it's a normal freeze- but the problem continued.
The screen turned grey. I checked with Matrix; Acer service and support in Amman, Jordan where I am currently residing, only to receive yet another unpleasant surprise. They told me that the data cable is broken and that I need to replace the screen because the cable is not sold separately, which would cost me a total of 255 JOD (360$)!!

So the question is: do I have to pay such amount although it is not a user error/mistake? I checked the internet concerning this particular issue and obviously this is a production fail which many Acer users are facing. Also, I was told by people working at Acer support that it is a common problem with such product.
The funny thing is that this product is not cheap and throughout my experience with laptops I owned so many different brands and I still have many which are half the S3 price and still working perfectly. The problem is that none of them let me down this way and caused such horrible experience.

Could you provide me a fair -and quick- solution?

Thank you,

Answers

• Nightwolf
    Nightwolf Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

You dont need to replace the whole screen. Its a common problem the cable breaks.
    It is possible to replace the lcd cable. If i'm correct this is the one: partnumber: SM30HS-A016-001,. Search it on google, or give in your specific laptop model + lcd cable. (Cable costs around € 50)

It is possible to replace it yourself, but i see yours is still in warrenty, even in the first year so normally acer must fix the problem for you and replace it on their costs.

Contacting acer would be the best way to go since yours still in warrenty!

Greets

• Talal
    Talal Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi Nightwolf,

Thank you for your help.

Indeed the part number you provided is the one that I need. The problem is that ordering it would be a bit hard since I'll have to pay a lot for customs.

Yes the ultrabook still in warranty but I contacted Acer and they told me "we'll think about it" or I have to replace the whole screen on my own which is not feasible.
    I'll check with Acer one more time today.

Cheers,