My Aspire S7 stops responding for a few seconds once in a while, randomly

Options
Turbocharged
Turbocharged Member Posts: 7 New User

Aspire S7 i53317 256G (2*128)

when in use, the system stop responding once in a while for a few seconds, sometimes more than 10 seconds, mouse click and keyboard operation does nothing while it happens, after it's passed, it works fine for a random period of time than then reappears. 

i can't recreate the problem by a fixed use pattern. it seems random and happens to different software applications.

i have trid to reinstall the system by Settings -> change PC setting -> General -> remove everything and reinstall windows. and it still happens.

any help or any suggestion of where the problem may be? i need more information before sending it to ACER, i dont want to send it back for a few days and then being told "we found no problem..."

Thanks

Kai

Best Answer

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options

I've had a quick look and it appears that your model does not employ Intel Rapid Storage Technology. However, I could be wrong so do check your event log for the error I detailed in my first post. If you've cleared your logs, wait until the problem appears once more and then check again. If you don't see the error then this fix will not help you (applying it will do nothing other than add clutter to your registry).

A little history...

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) originally added entries to the registry when installed. Since version 10, Intel modified the app to use default settings embedded in the program - registry entries are no longer used by default. However, IRST seems to check for entries and if present, it would use them. The problem only arises if version 10 is a new install and the default settings do not meet your hardware requirements. When that is the case, you could well experience temporary freezing. This wasn't a problem if you upgraded of course as you would have suitable entries in your registry.

The solution is to simply add the appropriate entries.

This is an export of the entries I added:

----------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters]

"BusType"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

"LPM"=dword:00000000

"LPMSTATE"=dword:00000000

"DIPM"=dword:00000000

"LPMDSTATE"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port1]

----------------

Copy the lines between the '----------------' (but don't include them).

Paste into a text file and finally, change the file type from .txt to .reg

Double click the file and follow the instructions to add to registry.

Note that I included the second entry (Port1) because I have a DVD drive. I don't honestly know if I needed to do that.

Should you try this? Well, that is a decision for you! You may wish to do a little reading (or a lot!) on the Intel site to gain a better understanding.

All I can really tell you is that I had the freezing problem (10 to 20 seconds or so) together with the error in the log. After I made the registry changes I have *never* had a freezing episode since. Neither have I seen the error reappear in my log.  My machine (M5-581TG) is lightning fast so I am more than happy that the fix has had no detrimental consequences.

Finally, if you do decide to give it a go, I would suggest you check your registry first and if you do find entries present, export them before you add mine so you can put them back if needs be.

Answers

• Alan-London
    Options

A couple of questions:

Do you have Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed?

Have you checked your event log for possible problems?

When the problem next occurs, check your event logs. Do you see "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period" or similar? If you do, I will post the fix.

• Turbocharged
    Options

does that software comes pre-installed with ACER S7 391? I didnt install it myself. i bought the S7 for my mom so i dont have it with me now.

if it's not too much trouble, could you please post your solution anyway? 

• Alan-London
    Answer ✓
    Options

I've had a quick look and it appears that your model does not employ Intel Rapid Storage Technology. However, I could be wrong so do check your event log for the error I detailed in my first post. If you've cleared your logs, wait until the problem appears once more and then check again. If you don't see the error then this fix will not help you (applying it will do nothing other than add clutter to your registry).

A little history...

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) originally added entries to the registry when installed. Since version 10, Intel modified the app to use default settings embedded in the program - registry entries are no longer used by default. However, IRST seems to check for entries and if present, it would use them. The problem only arises if version 10 is a new install and the default settings do not meet your hardware requirements. When that is the case, you could well experience temporary freezing. This wasn't a problem if you upgraded of course as you would have suitable entries in your registry.

The solution is to simply add the appropriate entries.

This is an export of the entries I added:

----------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters]

"BusType"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port1]

----------------

Copy the lines between the '----------------' (but don't include them).

Paste into a text file and finally, change the file type from .txt to .reg

Double click the file and follow the instructions to add to registry.

Note that I included the second entry (Port1) because I have a DVD drive. I don't honestly know if I needed to do that.

Should you try this? Well, that is a decision for you! You may wish to do a little reading (or a lot!) on the Intel site to gain a better understanding.

All I can really tell you is that I had the freezing problem (10 to 20 seconds or so) together with the error in the log. After I made the registry changes I have *never* had a freezing episode since. Neither have I seen the error reappear in my log.  My machine (M5-581TG) is lightning fast so I am more than happy that the fix has had no detrimental consequences.

Finally, if you do decide to give it a go, I would suggest you check your registry first and if you do find entries present, export them before you add mine so you can put them back if needs be.

• Turbocharged
    Options

Thanks Alan

This discussion has been closed.