M5-581T : The touchpad (or trackpad) is swollen/lifting/bulging

gagaboul
gagaboul Member Posts: 3 New User

I've been using my new laptop (Aapire M5-581T) for around 2 weeks and I've noticed something that could become a serious problem. This new computer has been bought from a seller at Amazon as refurbished.

The touchpad appears to be swollen/lifting/bulging. It takes about an hour (I think only when the device is running) before I have to push the touchpad near the keyboard to put it back in place.

I fear that might be caused by the battery possibly bulging. However I don't feel that it is particularly hot and the battery wear level is almost at 2% (which is not so bad) and so far 3 charge cycles. So I wonder...

BTW, I've completely charged the battery once using a powerbank for laptops (which can deliver 19V current). Otherwise I've been using the device with the AC adapter.

Best Answer

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

gagaboul,

The problem you are describing is most likely not related to the battery but a problem possibly with the seating of the touchpad and retainer clips that hold it. Also, since you bought it refurbished, if it was disassembled and put together with a different screw this could also be the problem. I would definitely recommend contacting technical support in your region for support.

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

gagaboul,

The problem you are describing is most likely not related to the battery but a problem possibly with the seating of the touchpad and retainer clips that hold it. Also, since you bought it refurbished, if it was disassembled and put together with a different screw this could also be the problem. I would definitely recommend contacting technical support in your region for support.

• gagaboul
    gagaboul Member Posts: 3 New User

Unfortunately, the Acer support does not accept my refurbished device. The merchant may honor his 90 days warranty, but I'm a bit too impatient and have some technical skills. Also the shipping cost and time makes me open it.

So I opened the device and indeed the battery is intact, it appears to have been replaced by a new one, all in black. There is no bulging, leaking or whatsover and nothing that would push against the touchpad. So this good news (@Ryan: you were right).

I've noticed that its the bottom-right part that seems to be a bit too much inside, especially when I apply some pressure (for right-clicking). And by pressing in that region, it seems to lift a bit on the top part, just a bit.

I've noticed this detail after reassembling the device, but when I did, I didn't notice apparent damage or wrong screws. When I've opened, it was mainly to check the battery (didn't disconnected cables). When I have some more time I will check more thoroughly.

This discussion has been closed.