Ultra-Thin

Topic

Visitor
sath

Re: GUIDE Install ExpressCache for SSD Caching

Great post. I used it for my SAMSUNG Ultra 5 Series and it worked fine. Except i did not copy the files into the Program Files folder, the installer for the Expresscache (diskeeper) came from the Samsung support section.

Thank you

TAG:

Visitor
sath

[ Edited ]

Aeverton wrote:

First, forgive me the wrong english, because I'm writing in the Google translator.

Well, I followed the step by step everything right, however when I type the

"info" appears an error message: "you have not the enough privilege to run this program"

ECCmd ** ERROR ** exited with error 0x5 (5)

Please can you help me? :smileysad:

Hi. Not sure if you have found the solution.

Start ---> programs ---> accessories ---> CMD (right click "run as administrator").  then the EECmd command will work.

Visitor
Aeverton

[ Edited ]

Friend worked! :smileyvery-happy:
tutorial and thanks to your help I got. Thank you very much for the help of you, I just formatted with Windows 8.1 and now yes things will happen in this machine!
God bless you!

Visitor
pedrozembo

Hi, 

I'm having trouble with step 16, it tells me that the expresscache driver is not installed.

Any ideas how I can fix that?

Hope you can get back to me.

Thank you.

Visitor
dexwerx

I've got an Acer Aspire S3-391 6497 (Core i5 3337U 1.80GHz)

The S3 also uses ExpresseCache which is all too often mistaken for Intel Smart Response.

This guide helped restore my fast boot times. A did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 x64 as well as Rapid start.

I kept the initial SSD partitions untouched during the install - so with this guide, it made extremely easy to get back to extremely fast stock boot times. Windows 8 had no problem picking up the Hibernation parition right after install, and re-installing Rapid Start was seemless. Again - It still had the stock SSD partitioning.

Also I did not need to use ECCmd to assign the Cache partition for ExpressCache- as the files provided here, were already setup for the way it was from the factory. Just installed - copied the files over, rebooted and caching started working immediately. A few more reboots, and my boot times were cut back down to 15 seconds (from 45).

You rock - and I hope this gets more google hits - to help out any other S3 owners, mistakingly thinking they need Intel Smart Response.

HalfBit

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for sharing your findings.

I removed all partitions and OS that came with my S3 and didn't pay attention to the ExpressCache nor Rapid Start I had.

With your help, I was able to set it all up again.

Once again, thanks!

-------------------------------------------

I didn't use this unit with the Windows installation it came with, I always do my own clean install - I hate bloatware.

So, unfortunatelly, I don't have much of a base to compare between the original Acer ExpressCache install and mine, but I used the ECC command to check and my installation was getting cache hits.

I change the HDD for a SSD ( OCZ Vector ), which is instantaneous fast, but I will probably remove it, my wife doesn`t need that much speed :smileyvery-happy:

I just found that the S3 chipset, HM77 (link) , does have native support to Intel Smart Response Technology, which is the original technology behind ExpressCache. I tested Intel SRT on my desktop a while back and the results were pretty decent - I think much better than ExpressCache. I will return the HDD, fresh install Windows and test Intel SRT.

I just wonder if I'll have trouble to setup SRT and Rapid Start altogheter.

Why Acer licensed Condusiv software if they had Intel native one for free?

Anyway, I will report back.

Visitor
dmeburk

Hello, thanks for this useful guide.  When I run eccmd -info it reprts that the ExpressCache driver is not installed.  The software is installed, but I can't figure out how to get it to recognize the SSD, even following your guide.  Any suggestions?

DB

HalfBit

[ Edited ]

As promised, I'm reporting back on my venture - trying to install Intel Smart Response Technology + Intel Rapid Startbut it's not working and I made it work :smileywink:

Intel Smart Response + Rapid Start 

I have tested, and both technologies are working in tandem, which brings me back to the question: why did Acer spend money on 3rd party software, instead of using Intel's? Anyway....

This is the recipe:

1. Clean all partition in the SSD and the HDD.
  2. Install Windows7 on the HDD
  3. Install Chipset INF file and video driver ( not necessary, just to speed up the system )
  4. Install Intel Rapid Storage and enable Acceleration ( Intel guide here )
  5. Create the hibernation partition on the SSD and REBOOT ( required by Intel Rapid Start, from first post or here )
  6. Install Intel Rapid Start Technology software

I didn't measure the boot time with ExpressCache, but on my experience, the Windows boot is faster with Intel Smart Response.

Some notes:

I'm able to use the latest drivers from Intel website to the

• Chipset ( 9.4.0.1026 )
  • VGA ( 8.15.10.2712 )
  • Rapid Start ( 3.0.0.1053 )

But not for the Rapid StorageTechnology. My Windows 7 64 bits PRO would get stuck on the boot logo animation if I used the latest version ( 12.9 ), it only worked using version 11.7.0.1013 ( link ).

Since the Hibernation partition has 3.77GB, and the laptop has 4GB, I can't predict what will happen in the situtation your laptop is using more RAM than the partition has.

On my research, I think this wouldn`t be a problem because I have seen on other forums people advising others to use 80% of the system physical RAM to the hibernation file.

Regards,

HalfBit.

HalfBit

Folks,

I forgot to add one step on the recipe.

It would be before step 1, so:

0. Change the SATA MODE do RAID on the BIOS.

Also, on step 5, I used an easier path:

I opened the Disk Management tool (

Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk
Management ), whcih prompted me to Intialize the disk. I choose MBR and clicked OK. Then, I just created a regular NTFS partition. Then, I only used diskpart to set id=84. Rebooted and done.

Visitor
dexwerx

[ Edited ]

I was gonna say- I've only seen Intel rapid start work on the S3 if you use RAID. IE: you _have_ to put the disks to RAID before you install the OS. Thanks for another confirmation!

NOTE: as for the Partition sizes, The hibernation partition only needs to be as large as the system Memory Available. Built In video takes up RAM, so you really only need to size it to 4GB minus Video memory.

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Please join me in congratulating IronFly who is the first Acer Community Member to achieve the rank of ACE Pathfinder. IronFly has shown a consistent willingness to help others and has worked hard to earn this new Rank. Congrats and Thank You IronFly.

ACE Pathfinder

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: