Ultra-Thin

Topic

Visitor
ted_owen
Accepted Solution

Can't boot from USB on Acer NC-V5-571 laptop. enabled alternate boot is bios, and tried option in W8

Can't boot from USB on Acer NC-V5-571 laptop. enabled alternate boot is bios, but and tried booting from DVD usb etc (booting from stuff that works on other PCs. I've set USB and DVD as higher priority to boot from in BIOS. I get the alternate boot menu, select DVD or USB, but it just boots up Windows 8.

I've tried booting from an external device in PC settings - general settings in the charm bar, but this boots straight to Windows 8 too.  the DVD plays movies okay, and if I plug in the boot dvd device W8 sees them and their contents as I expect them too. 

Any ideas on how to boot up from an alternate device.  I'd like to at least take a decent backup using Acronis.

Thanks in advance for any help

Ted

Acer Technician
Acer-Tommy

Re: Can't boot from USB on Acer NC-V5-571 laptop. enabled alternate boot is bios, and tried option i

Booting from additional media under Windows 8, you will need to ensure that you have either disabled Secure Boot or changed from UEFI to Legacy mode.  The following articles describe how to do this.

Changing BIOS mode from UEFI to Legacy

How to Enable or Disable Secure Boot

Important Links: Global Support Pages | Knowledge Base Articles
Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the kudos-thumbs-up.png Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.

Visitor
ted_owen

Re: Can't boot from USB on Acer NC-V5-571 laptop. enabled alternate boot is bios, and tried option i

Many thanks for your help.  That's resolved my issue.

Regards

Ted

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Please take a moment to review the latest Community News article to learn about new changes to your community membership.

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: