Ultra-Thin

Topic

Frequent Visitor
mostater
Accepted Solution

Backlit keyboard default setting

Is it possible to have the backlit keyboard turn on as the default?  (Acer Aspire M5)

Acer Technician
Acer-Tommy

Re: Backlit keyboard default setting

The backlit keyboard is set to illuminate via the ambiant light sensor.

I do not have a solution for those wishing to have the keyboard backlit at all times.

Important Links: Global Support Pages | Knowledge Base Articles
Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the kudos-thumbs-up.png Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.

Frequent Visitor
mostater

Thank you for the reply.  I did not realize it had an ambient light sensor.  If there is one, then it is either turned off or not working very well or at all.  Is there a way to verifiy or check settings?  As far as I know, I can only toggle on/off with the function F9 key.

Acer Technician
Acer-Tommy

*bangs head on desk*

So sorry, I misread the unit. 

M5 does have Fn +F9 to turn on and off the backlight on the keyboard.

Regarding having it default to ON: 

I am not aware of a setting that will enable it by default, as it does add additional power draw, and will reduce battery life.

Leaving it as a setting for the user via toggle (Fn +F9) allows everyone to use the setting when they need or want to do so.

Again, sorry about the mix up.

Important Links: Global Support Pages | Knowledge Base Articles
Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the kudos-thumbs-up.png Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.

SDX
Frequent Visitor
SDX

This is exactly my dilemma, but I want to have the backlit keyboard turn OFF by itself when the screen saver comes on with a timeout setting...is this possible?

Mine just stays ON all the time unless I turn it off with F9 manually. :smileyhappy:

res
New Visitor
res

I have a similar issue, on my Aspire V5 the backlight turns on by default when booting the laptop. I can turn it off/on with F9, but is there any way to turn them off by default? Im sure there is a registry key for that

Pioneer
Alan-London

Are you sure the M5 has an ambient light sensor?

My keys briefly light at boot if powered from battery and then remain off.

From mains they light at boot and remain on.

I can override with F9 of course but there certainly is no indication that a light sensor is managing the light level.

If I were a betting man, I would bet there is no ambient light sensor in the M5!

Could Acer please clarify?

NRP
New Visitor
NRP

Same Problem here.

I checked the documentation and many sites but could not find any way to turn the keyboard lights off by default.

Can someone from Acer confirm if there is a setting for making the keyboard lights On or Off by default.

Regular Visitor
simnix

I have the acer aspire V5-571P laptop, and I have the same problem. I would prefer to have the default state to be off and turn it on when needed. Being able to have this option would be a great advantage. Come on acer it cannot be difficult to create a patch to have this option available.  :smileymad:  This aside I am very please with my purchase  :smileyvery-happy:

New Visitor
ravenecw

I too would like to make it off by default. Can't figure out how to do it (or if it can be done).

Did you know? Acer Community is also available in the following languages: