Aspire S7 391 128GB SSD Possibility to delete the Raid0 to get 2x 128GB SSD Harddrive Space?

Options
LJstc
LJstc Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi!

As the title says! Is it possible to delete the Raid 0  with the 2 x 128 GB SSD inside the S7?

So then i can have NO RAID   but  256 GB  Harddrive space in windows?

If its possible how to do that?  Is there a raid Menue in the Bios? or any  Shortcuts to get into Raid Driver/controller

Or how else i can delete the Raid 0.    ( i Know all data will be lost and have to reinstall windows 8 ) .

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

You can delete the Raid and alter the system configuration in any way you want, but Acer can only provide support for the system in its original configuration. Make sure you create recovery media prior to attempting to delete the Raid.

• craigfis
    craigfis Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

You are not losing any storage capacity due to the RAID0 configuration. RAID 0 stripes data across multiple drives to increase read/write performance.

• jonstatt
    jonstatt Member Posts: 76 Troubleshooter
    Options

Indeed, just to be clear. The 128GB SSD is actually two 64GB SSDs. So if you split them, you will end up with a Drive C, 64GB, and Drive D, 64GB. There is no advantage to this, and you lose speed as well!

• nsdp51
    nsdp51 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

The advantage of switching from RAID 0 to no RAID is reliability.  When in RAID 0 (striped), if either drive fails, you lose all of your data.

• larrydh1
    larrydh1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have done as suggested, is there anyway to get an link for the information that was originally on the system?

• Ethos
    Ethos Member Posts: 160 Troubleshooter
    Options

But it wouldn't happen .. WHY they invented RAID 0 then to put all of us to risk ?

• dz20
    dz20 Member Posts: 35

Tinkerer

Options

Why not just back up all your data to a external drive or the cloud? That way it wont matter if your SSD crashes, other than being out the cost of a new one. At least you will still have your data. I usually take my old hard drive from my previous laptop and put a case on it and use it as a external back up drive.

• Ethos
    Ethos Member Posts: 160 Troubleshooter
    Options

Don't worry I have 1TB HDD in external enclosure and everything is there ..
    And RAID 0 is purely for OS system...

This discussion has been closed.